Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about really expensive CPU's

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:41 PM

Most CPU's, even for gaming go up to a few hundred USD.

But why are these types, or this one so expensive?

Edit: Moved topic from General Chat to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:07 PM

I'd be willing to bet thats a website typo. Especially since Dell has a price match button there too. As well as Intel's suggested retail price is $4394.00.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:24 PM

I think the one you listed is a two pack? Because this one sells for $6,499.99.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 05:16 PM

Sheeeeeze, I would have sweaty armpits mounting that much green on my mainboard.  Attached File  ieek.gif   1KB   1 downloads

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 05:36 PM

bwv848 has it right. The leading 2X in the product nomenclature proves that theory. As bwv848's link omits the 2X in the nomenclature.

However thats still nearly twice the price for a single unit of Intel's suggested retail price.

But you can find them cheaper if you look.

The $3K range for a single one here: http://memory4less.com/search?cat=&q=E5-4657L+2.40+GHz

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:07 PM

Wait.... err so could you guys explain why this is indeed expensive?

Edited by JimmyKarter, 22 September 2016 - 08:07 PM.

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,951 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:43 PM

You are comparing server processors and gaming processors. :) The E5-4657L processor is meant for expensive servers like this.

Furthermore, compare an Intel E5-4657's specs to an Intel Core i7-6700K specs. 12 cores vs. 4 cores. 24 threads vs. 8 threads. 30 MB cache vs. 8 MB cache.

Did I answer your question? :)

Edited by bwv848, 22 September 2016 - 10:08 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,986 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 04:37 AM

I'd say take a look on eBay, there one can find decent CPU's at great prices. I've purchased many & never a DOA received. 

Just one thing to keep in mind....... check seller Feedback! :)

While you may not get that exact set, should find one to fit your MB at a reasonable price. Still, Feedback is everything in the eBay world, while I'll look over those in regards to slow shipping (for free, does anyone expect overnight or 2 day shipping unless stated?), I won't overlook issues with products of the same category. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:16 PM

Ah I see!

So um

Why don't gaming computers run these kinds of processors?

#10 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:45 PM

Ah I see!

So um

Because they are too expensive for gamers maybe? I would sink more money on the GPU rather than the CPU.

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:24 PM

Ah I see!

So um

Because they are too expensive for gamers maybe? I would sink more money on the GPU rather than the CPU.

No. Because games rarely have use for extra cores those CPU's can offer, quad core with high clock speed is much better for games than 16-core with lower clock speed.

Another reason is that gamers generally have much better knowledge (and less money) than server buyers so gamers don't want to pay too much whereas server buyers don't really care. They buy what is offered, no matter what cost.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 23 September 2016 - 03:26 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,233 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:25 PM

GPUs are oriented toward what a user sees on the monitor/screen...games have the same orientation...so, IMO (I'am a non-gamer), it makes sense that the GPU should be the most important component for gamers.  And there is greater potential for future expansion with a GPU than there exists with a CPU.  If you have a high-grade CPU...there is little sense in upgrading to something that probably provides a less-than-10% effieiency increase.  At the speeds that a CPU operates, 10% may not be distignuishable by a human.

A system's CPU provides the raw power to do...the arduous work that may be piled on a system.  Rendering, multi-tasking, calculating, running very complicated apps...these are the items that a CPU excels at and a faster CPU allows a system to more faster, but it won't necessarily provide better FPS or better gaming without understanding the role of the GPU.

.Louis

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,986 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:32 AM

Ah I see!

So um

Jimmy, how about posting your system specs using Speccy to help up assist you further. Those are server CPU's at that price. Not what a typical desktop user would run, unless filthy rich & has cash to throw in the wind. 

Here's how to post your system snapshot, and no worries, your Windows COA & other personal info (such as IP address) won't be seen by us. :)

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.
  • Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.
  • You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

It's as simple as that, and we can go from there. :)

BTW, did you read the post by hamluis in Post #12? It really makes a lot of sense & practical for everyday users. Spending cash on the needed components are critical for gaming, no matter how powerful the CPU is. Looking at the prices that you were for CPU's, if you have a solid quad core (even if i5), than a GTX 1070/1080 may be a better option over expensive CPU's. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:00 PM

thx all

i understand enough

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,986 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 01:05 AM

You're welcome! :)

Whenever you decide to build yourself a gaming rig, come back, we'll be happy to assist you in doing so. :thumbup2:

Just remember one thing, for the price of one of those CPU's listed, you can build a respectable gaming rig from scratch from a i7-4790K (Z97 platform) or i7-6700K (Z170 platform). This allows you to go with a much faster NVMe SSD than a SATA-3 can provide in terms of speed. It takes every component possible (CPU, GPU, RAM, PSU & SSD for starters) to have a decent gaming PC. 

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users