Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Antivirus/AntiMalware/Anything combo would you recommend?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iamzaidan

iamzaidan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:27 AM

This is the first time i'm posting here on Bleeping Computer, so please excuse any mistakes i make. For the past few days i've been trying to improve the security of my laptop.

Here's my current setup:

1. Eset Nod32 (trial)

2. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (trial)

3. Malwarebytes Anti-exploit Free

4. COMODO Firewall

5. CryptoPrevent Free (set on default)

6. Chrome with uBlock and HTTPS everywhere

7. SUPERAntiSpyware Free

8. Hitman Pro

Out of these, 1-6 are running at all times, and 7 and 8 are used for weekly (or whenever im bored) scans.

All these programs are upto date

How would you rate this setup?

Any other program I can use?

Any program I don't need?

Should i purchase Malwarebytes Anti-Malware once the trial runs out?

Is eset nod32 good enough, or should I use another one?

Sorry if i've asked too many questions

(Note: I am an experienced user and generally browse safe, however sometimes I tend to be careless)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:31 AM

I would drop Comodo Firewall. It's too much hassle to use, and if you are not familiar with the HIPS module then it is going to be quite annoying. Windows Firewall will do for most home users.

If you are using uBlock, I recommend switching to the uBlock Origin fork, as it is maintained by the original author and still getting regular updates.

ESET NOD32 and MBAM should be fine, although I do recommend buying Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium because the real-time protection is worth the cash.

IMO SUPERAntiSpyware is a bit redundant with HitmanPro and MBAM. You can keep it if you want since there is no conflict.

The rest of your setup is fine.

Edited by Sintharius, 22 September 2016 - 10:31 AM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:51 PM

Is eset nod32 good enough, or should I use another one?

ESET NOD32 is a trustworthy and effective antivirus solution which leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. ESET Antivirus and Smart Security uses a Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) to monitor system activity and uses a pre-defined set of rules to recognize suspicious system behavior. When this type of activity is identified, HIPS stops the offending program from carrying out potentially harmful activity. ESET Antivirus (and Smart Security) includes Exploit Blocker which is designed to fortify applications that are often exploited, such as web browsers, PDF readers, email clients or MS Office components. Further, it does not conflict with other security programs I use on my computers. You may want to read the following.ESET also has the added advantage of blocking the installation of Potentially Unsafe Applications (PUAs), Potentially Unwanted Application/Unwanted Content and most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature.

With that said, Emsisoft Anti-Malware is another effective alternative to consider. See my comments at the bottom of Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Emsisoft paid customers get 25% off after the initial purchase and then 5% off for each year afterwards, up to a maximum of 60%.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:40 AM

Hi all!

There is also SpywareBlaster and WinPatrol FREE / PLUS, both of which have free as well as paid versions, i.e. the latter with extra functionality.

In addition there is Ghostery and Secunia PSI, which both are free.

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 23 September 2016 - 07:00 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users