Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about Fiber Optic cables and latency

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ScarXL

ScarXL

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:26 AM

Sorry if this question sounds stupid, I'm not really good with this, but...

I have a fiber optic cable from my ISP and I found out it has a pretty deep cut that exposes the interior, and I've recently learned that fiber optic cables use lights transmitted from the computer (signals) to the ISP's servers or whatever, in Physics class at school, and I thought that some of the lights may have been escaping through that cut, making my random lag happen.

Is this possible? I've recently covered the cut up with a ton of layers of scotch that you can't see through and I'm wondering if that will improve my latency.

Also light can't pass through that scotch, I've tested it with a flashlight.

Edited by ScarXL, 21 September 2016 - 08:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 11:10 AM

If your fiber is cut, you need your ISP to repair it. It may not be causing lag, but either way it isn't good and needs to be fixed. Generally speaking, light can only go one speed, so it wont directly effect latency, but error correction can be a issue. Think of a scratched CD. it's not good that it's scratched but it doesn't skip because light is "leaking". 

PS. Is this the same ISP as this post?

Edited by Trikein, 21 September 2016 - 01:34 PM.

#3 ScarXL

ScarXL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 12:13 PM

Oh ok. Thanks for the answer.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:45 PM

I would suggest removing the tape before the technician gets there. Anything before the dmark/ground is usually covered by the ISP. This covers weather and accidental damage but you don't want them to think you were tampering with their lines. If the context is "I did this to help latency" they be more inclined to charge you.

#5 ScarXL

ScarXL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:08 PM

Only the first layer is cut, the rest of the cable is fine. It's the protective rubber layer or whatever that the cable has. I covered it a little bit. I can remove it if they arrive. Nothing serious was covered. If it was a big cut I wouldn't mess with it.

I just covered it again because of idk I wanna see if it helps with anything. I've also changed my ethernet cable.

Edited by ScarXL, 21 September 2016 - 02:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users