Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel Table

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ganna

ganna

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:10 AM

Hi there,

What I would like to do is create a league chart for my football team so when the results are added to the appropriate cells the league table is also updated. (A win is 3 points; draw 1 and loss 0)

Can anybody help me with this? Hope things are clear!!

Thanks.
It's great being an anorak

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:33 AM

Hope things are clear!!

No, they are not.

What's in cells? What are column names? Row names if any? What's a league table? What does the title of this thread mean? Are words missing?

#3 Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 02:16 PM

I agree with Tos226....things really aren't too clear. You really need to input some more information for anyone reading this.

#4 ganna

ganna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:49 AM

Sorry about how unclear my query is but here goes my attempt to clear things up:

The column names are a 'Home Team', 'Away Team' and then 'Home Score' and 'Away Score'. For example; 'Home team' is Mosta and away team is Hibs; if Mosta win 3-2 then the 'Home Score' will be 3 and the 'Away Score' will be 2.

In this case the team 'Mosta' will recieve 3 points and the team 'Hibs' will recieve 0 points.

If the score was tied then the team 'Mosta' will recieve 1 point and 'Hibs' also 1 point.

The 'League Table' is then formed by the team with the largest number of points on top; the next team will have the second most points etc.

Any better?
It's great being an anorak

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:59 AM

Yes, that's better. But it's not 100% clear to me at what point you need help. The entire workflow, from data entry to evaluation, or basically, the bottom line, of some rank order. Assuming the latter,

Lookup in help, under statistical functions, various ways to analyze the data.
Alternatively, type "=" in a cell adjacent to your scores, press "fx" on the main menu to get to Statistical functions and read the parameters of RANK function and LARGE function. Setup the functions using GUI, by selecting cells and ranges with the mouse.

RANK will tell you relative rank of a number within a range of numbers.
LARGE will return 1st, 2nd ... Nth largest numbers within a range of numbers, where data source could be the rank values calculated previously, if I understand your design.

One or both of those should give you what you need, and you can follow up more in how to combine the information from those two columns of data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users