Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD When trying to install Win10 from USB

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ATXK

ATXK

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:51 AM

Hi, 

After torrenting Fallout 4 yesterday, my PC BSOD'ed while it was installing. Then whenever I tried to reboot the system, it would always BSOD. 

I then took out the single drive in the system, which is a 120GB Transcend SSD, and reformatted it on a seperate system. I also shredded it using McAfee's software, as well as removing the volume using Disk Management. I then created a USB boot drive using the Windows 10 media tool. 

When I tried booting from the USB to reinstall Windows 10, the computer still gives me a BSOD after going through post. I highly suspect there is a virus somewhere and I really need to get this computer up and running again. 

Will changing the entire harddrive to a new one help? 

I am open to any and all suggestions to how to fix this computer, I have around 3 weeks to get this done before my next semester starts in school.

System Specs:

i7-6700k

Asus Z170-K

Sapphire Nitro+ RX470

G.Skill RipJaws 2400MHz 16GB 

Cryorig H7 CPU cooler

Seasonic M2-II Modular 620W PSU

120GB Transcend SSD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:39 AM

Start with these free, bootable hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

Note that there aren't any decent diagnostics available for SSD's.  The best test is to try another hard drive and see if the problem persists

Depending on where the BSOD occurs, you may try booting from the USB without having the SSD attached - and see if that causes a BSOD (if not, then the SSD is suspect).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ATXK

ATXK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:19 AM

Start with these free, bootable hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

Note that there aren't any decent diagnostics available for SSD's.  The best test is to try another hard drive and see if the problem persists

Depending on where the BSOD occurs, you may try booting from the USB without having the SSD attached - and see if that causes a BSOD (if not, then the SSD is suspect).

I've tried on a spare SSD, still BSOD. And I also tried booting from the USB without any drives attached, and the system still BSOD... Tried running Avira System Rescue off another boot USB, managed to get to the Avira page where it tells you that the PC will reboot, then I just get a perpetual black screen.. Losing hope quite quickly right now.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:42 AM

Another page that might help:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

It's a way to isolate hardware problems without having to boot to Windows

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users