Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speakers ~ Dell 15 5000

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:01 PM

Hello! I have a new laptop, Dell 15-5568. I'm thrilled with this laptop, however I have a perplexing situation.

The laptop speakers are front facing, underneath the case. The speaker sound gets muffled while the laptop is on my lap. (No, I will not turn it upside down! Ha!) During the purchase decision and specification shopping list, never did I take time to review the speaker(s) location.

Does anyone know of a clever way to redirect the sound from the bottom of the case?

Thanks   :lol:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:58 AM

The obvious solution would be to not have the laptop in your lap.  This is relevant to the speaker problem, but more importantly this can effect the ability of the cooling system to function properly.  It's pretty apparent that the manufacturer shares the same belief, otherwise they wouldn't have placed the speakers facing down. :whistle:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:11 AM

@dc3 I so appreciate you taking your time to respond to my post, thank you so much.

~ As one who has built a desk top, and own 4 laptops, I'm quite savvy about the needs for fans, as well as how critical it is to keep our devices from over heating. 
It's awesome for you to remind us about that potential snafu.

~ Regarding the laptop speaker location, whether on a lap, desk, or any surface, the speakers would remain underneath the case. To infinity I'll never know why the design team came up with this feature!

~ No doubt one would wonder why I purchased this laptop, with speakers on the bottom of the case, Oh well...it sure does have other outstanding features, I would certainly recommend this laptop for purposes other than "listening" to anything.

~ I'm still left with the idea if there "might" be a creative work around to redirect sound from the bottom of this case (or any laptop model)
Perhaps this post might have been best in the General Chat Forum, as it's just something to chew on!  :lmao: 

Again, thank you for your reply dc3, as I am extremely impressed with your knowledge and problem solving abilities here in BC!

:flowers:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:23 AM

Thank you for the kudos, very much appreciated.

My wife wants to keep her laptop in her lap too.  For her I suggested placing my clipboard under the laptop since the computer was getting too warm.  This resolved that.  Just a thought. :thumbup2:

Edit:  I wasn't specifically suggesting the use of a clipboard, just something solid that would not impede the sound or circulation.

Edited by dc3, 21 September 2016 - 10:25 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:55 AM

Ta-Da...very clever indeed! Hmmm.. .. ..there's always the snack holder vendors use at sporting events! I could strap one of those around my neck and lift the lappy up! 

Self edit: spelling

Edited by softeyes, 21 September 2016 - 10:55 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 11:08 AM

Is this a touch screen. Looking at the image here is seems Dell is suggesting it be used without the keyboard and more like a tablet.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-5568-2-in-1-laptop/pd

I would suggest a good pair of in ear phones. 

I got a set of these and they are awesome for sound and bass.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 September 2016 - 11:14 AM.

#7 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 11:56 AM

Hi John!

Here is my model:

(A very long URL...I do not know how to create an 'external link' like you do.)

Yes it is a touch screen and can be used as a tablet, among so many features I need a class "101 how to use!" I have a lot to learn.

[snip]  Flexible modes. Exciting options Flip into action With an innovative 360-degree hinge, the Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1 allows you to switch between four different modes: tent mode for using recipes in real time, stand mode for movies on the airplane, laptop mode for typing your novel or emailing work and the tablet mode makes reading while you're reclined easier than ever.

Love the idea of ear phones, (that was easy!) and the model you purchased sure is affordable!

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:34 PM

In Softeyes's last post she posted "(A very long URL...I do not know how to create an 'external link' like you do.)"

I sent her a PM with instructions for inserting text in her hyperlink.  She requested that I post those instruction here so that if someone else needs help with this they can use these instructions.

To insert a text in your hyperlink you need to use BBCode. 

We will use the hyperlink in your topic.

To use this as a hyperlink you need to add
[url=

In the space immediately after the hyperlink you need add a closed bracket
]

Now you need to add the name of website, in this case that would be Dell 15-5568.

Immediately after the website name you want to close the link with the following.

[/url]

Your link would look like the following.

You can view my computer specification at
[url=https://jet.com/product/detail/daaa00d39fb743f9b0ae6e5b7d88c2c9?jcmp=pla:ggl:cwin_electronics_a1:computers_laptops_a1_other:na:PLA_348772500_24231363180_pla-161683752540:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&ds_c=cwin_electronics_a1&ds_cid=&ds_ag=computers_laptops_a1_other&product_id=daaa00d39fb743f9b0ae6e5b7d88c2c9&product_partition_id=161683752540&gclid=CLja69DwoM8CFZNlfgodsAAChg&gclsrc=aw.ds]Dell 15-5568[/url]

When it is posted it looks like this...

You can view my computer specification at Dell 15-5568

Edited by dc3, 21 September 2016 - 01:43 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:47 PM

I create a hyperlink by copying the link text, highlighting what text I want to hyperlink by left clicking and dragging the cursor through the text then clicking the "link" icon in the menu bar and pasting the link. 

Capture8.jpg

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:23 PM

Either method works.  I use bbcode a great deal when I write tutorials, so either of these works for me.  But I can see where this would be easier for the uninitiated.  But it would be easier for the uninitiated to follow your instructions with some graphics.

For example:

To insert a link in your text click on the link icon.

link%20icon_zpsidfewkxt.png

You will see the image below, click in the text area and add your link, then click OK.

link%20icon%202_zps3lmk7blm.png

Edited by dc3, 21 September 2016 - 02:24 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:29 PM

Thanks dc3 for making it much clearer than I did.

#12 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:50 PM

How outstanding you two provided the tutorial! Yay ~ I'm sure there are many members who will enjoy this as well!

Let's see>>>>> Butterfly

And...I have discovered that if I want to listen to music (or anything) and I don't need the keyboard or monitor (still not sure about using the tablet mode), I can put this laptop in the 'tent' position and oh boy, the sound is very clear, as the speakers are free to be!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users