Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unscrewing Back of Laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:51 PM

I bought a new Lenovo E540 laptop plus extra RAM.  I must confess that i am mechanically challenged.  After watching videos on Youtube of dissembling the back case, it looked like a simple task of unscrew-remove screw-remove.  I bought some jeweler's phillips head screwdriver and when the screws holding down the plastic case unscrew, they don't come out.  As I continue turning, I hear a clicking sound. I don't want to damage the computer before I even turned it on.

Is there some trick to getting the screws out? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:11 AM

With some laptops the screws weren't meant to be removed.  This is an advent which I particularly like.  When you remove a screw and drop it these small screws have a innate ability to run and hide in plain sight.

Since it appears that this is new to you I would like to add a piece of advice.  RAM modules are susceptible to electrostatic discharges.  It only takes about 10 Volts to kill a integrated circuit which RAM modules are built with.  To put this into perspective think about this, when you walk up to a door in the winter and reach out to grab the door knob you receive a painful electric shock.  The voltage needed to reach this threshold of pain is between 2,000 and 3,000 volts.  So you can now understand how important proper handling of these modules is.  Before touching the module touch something metallic close at hand to discharge any static electricity in your system.   

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for reminding me about static. 

I still can't figure out how to take the cover off.  I still haven't found a way to remove the screws.  I've tried loosening them and then tried to gently pry the over.  There is an indent that seems to be designed for that purpose, but the cover is still locked in place.  I checked the user manual and I am definitely going about this in the correct way.  It says to remove the screws but does not address my problem.  I did find someone in a forum online with the same issue.  The inquiry was not answered and the end result was a responder suggested s/he get the screws drilled out.  I will not be going that route.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:25 PM

Is this the video you saw. As you can see the uploader does not remove the screws, only loosens them up to a point then pries the back panel off.

#5 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:22 AM

Thanks for this.  Now that I know the cover screws remain in the cover, I can pry the cover more aggressively.  I hesitated, not wanting to break it.

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:18 AM

Don't forget to take off the smaller wireless card panel before taking off the larger panel. The smaller one helps hold the larger panel on. See video here.

#7 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:01 AM

Don't forget to take off the smaller wireless card panel before taking off the larger panel. The smaller one helps hold the larger panel on.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users