Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitors intermittently turning off and back on again.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sepia_

Sepia_

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:48 AM

Essentially, both my monitors will sometime flick off and then back on a second later. They seem to do this at the same time and it is usually due to my fridge starting to cool again (at least, it

coincides with a click sound from the fridge). The fridge and the screen are not connected to the same power strip and are plugged (indirectly) into different wall sockets. Additionally, if I knock one of the HDMI cables (without disconnecting it), the corresponding monitor will also flick off and on again a second later. One connection is DVI - DVI and the other is DP - HDMI female connected to HDMI male - HDMI male.

This problem has been present for a long while (probably since I bought the computer). It only happens infrequently (possibly around once every half hour for a second) and irregularly (appears to be tied to fridge cooling end). However, it can still be very frustrating if the screen goes black at a crucial moment.

I have had the same issue:

• in three different rooms - the same fridge was present in all of them.
  • with different operating systems (previously Windows 7, now Windows 10).
  • with different graphics driver (previously outdated, now all up to date).
  • when using only one screen at a time (problem has happened with each).

I am not sure if the issue is related to the screens themselves, the power supply or the graphics card (possibly something else).

I include the relevant technical information below:

Monitor 1: http://www.cnet.com/products/aoc-e2752v-led-monitor-27/specs/

Monitor 2: http://www.terapeak.com/worth/aoc-led-27-monitor-e2770s/231665812566/

Computer hardware:

Processor (CPU):                   Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-5820K (3.3GHz) 15MB Cache

Motherboard:                         ASUS® X99-S: ATX, HSW-E CPU, USB 3.0, SATA 6 GB/s

Memory (RAM):                     16GB CRUCIAL DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 8GB)

Graphics Card:                      4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 - 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready

Hard Disk:                              500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive:             24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Memory Card Reader:           INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Power Supply:                        CORSAIR 650W VS SERIES™ VS-650 POWER SUPPLY

Processor Cooling:                Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler

Thermal Paste:                      STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING

Sound Card:                          ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Wireless/Wired Networking:   WIRELESS 802.11N 150Mbps PCI-E CARD

The OS is Windows 10 Pro N.

If any further clarification is required, please let me know. Any help much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:18 PM

If it seems to only happen when the fridge cycle happens, then it maybe that the fridge is momentarily drawing so much of the amps of the circuit that it temporarily forces the monitors into power save mode or maybe triggering the auto-detect mode for detecting connected devices. I am not knowledgable about electrical circuits to know if this is really possible or not, but it would seem there is some connection if it is only happening when the fridge cycle triggers.

To try to isolated the issue if it does seem to happen only with the fridge cycle, then you may want to try to put the fridge on a different electrical circuit or unplug the fridge for a while (if possible) to see if that helps. For the first, you may need to look are your circuit breaker/fuse box to see how many circuits you have and see if you can figure out where you could move the fridge to put it on a different circuit. What kind of home do you live in? Single family, apartment, university dorm, etc?

If it does not just happen with the fridge cycle, then may want to try the monitors with a different computer (say a friend's computer) if you can. This might help determine if it is an issue with the monitors. Similarly, if you can, try the computer with a different monitor (i.e. again borrow from a friend if you can).

Edited by smax013, 20 September 2016 - 04:19 PM.

#3 Sepia_

Sepia_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:49 AM

Thanks for your help, smax.

Unfortunately, I cannot either unplug the fridge or plug it into a separate circuit from the PC and monitors (there is food in the fridge and I believe there is one circuit for the whole room). All three places in which I have used the computer and fridge have been essentially studio flats.

I do not have access to any other screens on which I can test this. When I have used one of the screens with my laptop (in the same room), I have not noticed the same issue, but that could be due to the short periods for which I have used them together (couple of hours, each on a couple of occasions).

#4 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:14 AM

You could always try using a power conditioner, they are a bit expensive though.

#5 EricW44

EricW44

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:54 PM

I have a second, larger monitor that flicks on and off constantly, green stripes, distorted images.  It began after my insurance ran out - a source of hidden costs and income for the manufacturers.

I find it so curious that they tend to 'die' shortly after the warranty runs out. Is there a hidden, deliberate flaw in the automatically updates for the monitor?  Is there a chip in the monitor programmed in such a way whose circuits are automatically switched to a 'fail' scenario after a certain number of monitor updates?  Are the hdmi cables so poorly (deliberately) designed to oxidize the pins after so many unpluggings - ie, they 'wear' out fa-a-a-r too easily.

Not normally a 'conspiracy' addict, but I really do wonder about this and so many other electronic gadgets. 

How come that I, who spends my retirement funds on some of these pieces of equipment, am constantly having to re-purchase so soon?  And how com the manufacturer's CEO owns a yacht, and I don't.

Edited by EricW44, 26 September 2016 - 07:57 PM.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for your help, smax.

Unfortunately, I cannot either unplug the fridge or plug it into a separate circuit from the PC and monitors (there is food in the fridge and I believe there is one circuit for the whole room). All three places in which I have used the computer and fridge have been essentially studio flats.

I do not have access to any other screens on which I can test this. When I have used one of the screens with my laptop (in the same room), I have not noticed the same issue, but that could be due to the short periods for which I have used them together (couple of hours, each on a couple of occasions).

I did ask my electrician about this (I had my electrical panel replaced and upgraded yesterday). He basically agreed that the likely issue is the fridge and computer/monitors being on the same circuit. The fridge's motor likely has a high AMP (and voltage) draw when it first powers up. This is then likely effectively "stealing" power from the monitors when it happens.

So, if you don't have a different circuit to put the computer/monitors on, then you might be outta luck unless a power conditioner (as suggested by another) might help (I have no idea as I have no experience with power conditioners).

How old is the flat/apartment? I ask because newer build/remodeled apartments in the US would almost definitely require a separate circuit for the kitchen (and likely several) due to modern/current codes. If you are not in the US, then it is possible the same types of requirements might exist. So, if the flat/apartment is newer, then you might look to see if you do have a circuit breaker/fuse box with different circuits or ask your superintendent/owner's rep if you don't see one. If it ends up that you do have multiple circuits, then you might be able to move the computer to that other circuit.

#7 Sepia_

Sepia_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:28 AM

Thanks chalup. I've had a look at power conditioners and they are a little expensive. I have no prior knowledge of power conditioners and I'm not sure which feature I should look out for to deal with sudden current changes.

Thanks for your further help smax. The room I'm currently in has one circuit, so I cannot do anything here. In a couple of weeks, my current job ends and I'll be moving back to a flat which I think has two circuits, so I can hopefully try this out then.

My current room is recently refurbished but in a very old building. I'm in the UK, not the US.

Edited by Sepia_, 01 October 2016 - 08:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users