Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I get my laptop on the Internet like my cell phone

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lostsoul65

lostsoul65

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:32 AM

I can get Internet on my cell phone anywhere but not my laptop. Why? and how can I fix this where my laptop can get Internet anywhere like my cell phone. You go to a hotel and they charge you for wi-fi so you can hook up to the Internet with your laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Daydreamed

Daydreamed

• Members
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:36 AM

With mobile phones, you more than likely use a data plan. If you do have a mobile phone that supports using a hotspot, as well your service provider allows it, you could set up the hotspot and connect your laptop to that. I believe it uses your own data though. Many providers as far as I know sell dedicated hotspots that you can purchase plans for.

- Daydreamed

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:41 AM

As Daydreamed mentioned, you subscribe to a data plan for your cell phone. That allows you to get internet access wherever you have cell coverage. Your laptop does not have this. You have to connect it to a device that is supplying that internet access.

Also as Daydreamed mentioned, you could use your smartphone as a hot spot. Though a lot of the time, at least in the US and on the major carriers, you have to pay an additional fee to use that feature.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:11 AM

Not sure if this related, but FYI:

http://www.networkworld.com/article/3042454/mobile-wireless/wi-fi-hotspot-blocking-persists-despite-fcc-crackdown.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users