Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Comparison

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:59 PM

Hard Drive Comparison-

I was wondering if i will be able to tell a difference in performance if i switch from a 40 gig HD that has 7200 RPM with the 8 meg buffer to a 80 gig has 5400 RPM with the 2 meg buffer.

I need more hard drive space because my 40 gig HD is not cutting it. but i dont know if putting in the slower HD with more space would be worth it or should i just buy a new one. the reason is because i got the 80 gig for free. Thanks for your advice.

This is the 40 gig i have now WD400JB
This is the 80 gig WD800EB
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:44 AM

You may be able to tell the difference - but it's not a real drastic change.

Keep the 40 gB and install the 80 gB as a slave - you'll have the best of both worlds then!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 AMD010

AMD010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:07 AM

Yes, thats what i was thinking about doing, i just have another drive with linux installed that i can take out, but i think i can partition part of the 80 gig for and still be able to dual boot w/linux. im just being to lazy.
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:46 AM

Or- you can get a ATA/133 PCI IDE Card which will enable you to install two more hard drives.
(make sure your power supply will handle it)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users