Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire Desktop ATC-220-ES61 for small business

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 idontknow123

idontknow123

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:44 AM

Hi IT experts,

I would like to get your opinion in getting a small business workstations/desktops. I am looking at Acer aspire ATC-220-ES61 desktop which has the following specs:

* 2 TB of of HDD

* 8GB of RAM DDR3

* AMD A8-7600 processor Quad-core 3.10 GHz

Do you think this is good enough? We have a web application that our employees are accessing it on a regular basis throughout the day and just normal data processing.

I checked those desktops that are solely for office use but it seems they are more expensive and the specs are not high as the regular desktops.

Your opinion is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:13 PM

I see that nobody has posted in, and it's been 4 days but I will give it a shot. Post back if you are still interested.

I cannot find any information on that particular Acer unit; are you sure you got the model # correct?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 idontknow123

idontknow123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:20 AM

I see that nobody has posted in, and it's been 4 days but I will give it a shot. Post back if you are still interested.

I cannot find any information on that particular Acer unit; are you sure you got the model # correct?

Hi,

Still very much interested on your input.

Here is the link with the specs http://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/model/DT.SXRAA.009

Thank you

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:03 AM

I've yet to understand...just what constitutes...a business desktop/system...from a plain old PC in desktop form.  AFAIK, there is no component differential.  I'm curious as to what you think the difference is...what made you look at a specific model by a specific manufacturer...that merits your interest?

Louis

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:11 PM

On the surface this seems to be adequate to do your job; the specifications are rather general, but it appears that you want it only to do normal business work. The CPU will be powerful enough to handle general office programs, the memory is good. I especially like that there are 4 USB3 and 4USB2 ports.

One weakness is that you have only 2 expansion slots, but if are not planning on adding any cards that should not be a problem. There is one PCIe 16 slot so if you decide to add a video card later that can be done.

Since there is a PCIe slot available that means that there will not be a separate video card, so you will have integrated video on the mainboard. If this unit will be used for gaming or video creation, editing and manipulation, then that is not adequate so you will definitely want to invest in a higher-end video card. From what I gather you will not be using it for that so then it will be fine.

I am a bit uncertain about how you will be using this from this statement:

We have a web application that our employees are accessing it on a regular basis throughout the day

Do you mean that this is only going to be a replacement for one of your office units and will be accessing your company website? Or are you attempting to use this unit as a server of some kind?

In addition, be aware that these retail units come totally loaded to the top with pointless trialware, junkware and sometimes spyware that will slow the entire unit down drastically. Off the shelf, you will not get the speed and performance out of your computer that you paid good money for.I am not exaggerating. A few of the usual suspects are Microsoft Office trialware, Symantic Norton antivirus trialware, possibly various McAfee web safety products, and a lot more. In addition, literally all of these computer manufacturers, including Acer, load up on what I call "overlay" screens that "help" you do normal functions that Windows has perfectly good menus to do. As only one example, there will be a "helpful" utility that will "help" you set up a control panel to access and configure your network connections. Windows 10 has a perfectly good configuration screen for that. All of these "overlay" screens load on boot and will drag down the performance of your unit.
I have taken so many of these off of computers that I lost count long ago, and still do it every month that one comes in. You need someone with knowledge and experience to clean up your system before you put it into production, and then it will fly.

Edited by ranchhand_, 27 September 2016 - 05:16 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users