Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dvd message display constantly..."please insert a disc"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fvpirrone

fvpirrone

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:18 AM

hi, guys

i have a tower and 2 laptops

i just inserted "the deerhuner", great movie

into the tower dvd

without lifting a finger

the dvd began playing

visual, audio, scenes, closed caption, etc

but 

with the 2 laptops

i insert the dvd

therei s a dvd message display constantly..."please insert a disc"

what's is the deal?

thank you

frankie

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:25 PM

How old are the laptops? The "dumb" corollary question (just to make sure it is not a simple issue...I doubt it is, but need to make sure) is are the optical drives in the laptops capable of playing DVDs rather than just CDs? As I said, I doubt this is the case, but need to ask to be sure.

Beyond that, what software are you using to play the DVDs on the laptop?

And what is the condition of the DVD? Does it have a lot of scratches or marks on the DVD? I have experienced "worn" DVDs that will play in some DVD players but not others. And sometimes cleaning the DVD can help...other times, it won't.

#3 fvpirrone

fvpirrone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 11:47 AM

hi,cousin'

well, it' a compa

but

recently my computer guy installed windows 7

i did the windows 10 thing

i's got 20g of used space

in my original post

i mentioned 
the deerhunter"

great movie

plays wala on my tower

so dvd is brabd new

but

on the compa it's forever with "insert a dvd'

with windows dvd player

i did access devices

properties

it says

"device, dvd , is working properly

ps

you mentioned backup

the c/ drive has 21 gb used space

if i want to back up to a usb drive

how many gigs should it be?

what is a "backup?"

thanks

frankie

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:51 PM

Any luck playing other DVDs in laptops?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:53 AM

Please don't use terms like "wala" or "compa" as these are meaningless, at least to me.

You posted that the disc is brand new.  Is this a copy you or a friend made, or is this a manufactured copy?

There was a time where some computers didn't like seeing DVD -R or DVD +R, this is why I asked about whether this movie was copied to a DVD or a manufactured disc.

I'm guessing that the desktop is the newer of the computers?  

If this is the case how old are the laptops?

smax013 asked what software you are using to view the movie, please answer that.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:10 PM

ps
you mentioned backup
the c/ drive has 21 gb used space
if i want to back up to a usb drive
how many gigs should it be?
what is a "backup?"

A backup is essentially making a copy of file(s) so that if the original is lost, destroyed, or damaged, you will still have the copy (aka "backup").

Typically, in the case of the OS and applications, you in theory should have a backup in the form of the original install discs (unless you downloaded the installer file to your hard drive...but even in that case with an OS, you typically need to make a bootable install disk or optical disc). So, at the bare minimum, it is usually advisable to make backup of any of your user files (i.e. files you create, edit, download, etc) that you care about. But, it can get much more involved.

If you want to make a disk image (essentially a backup of how your computer is setup at the time of the backup that would then allow you to restore the computer to that exact state) backup of your computer and you have only about 21 GB of used space, then you likely would want at a bare minimum a 32 GB flash drive (flash drives tend to jump from 16 GB capacity to 32 GB capacity). This would easily backup your current data and allow for around 11 GB of future data. If you think you might accumulate a lot of data (i.e. take a lot of pictures or record/download videos) and want to be able to back it all up, then you will likely want significantly more than a 32 GB drive. And realistically, I would tend to suggest a external USB hard drive rather than a flash drive...and while you can get external USB hard drives with less than 1 TB of capacity, the reality is that 250 GB or 160 GB external USB hard drives will cost almost as much (if not more) than a 1 TB external USB hard drive. In the US, you can get a 1 TB hard drive for about $50, but 160 GB or 250 GB hard drives are maybe $15 cheaper but many are actually more than $50. This dynamic might not be true in all other countries, but I only have experience with US pricing.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:11 PM

smax013 asked what software you are using to view the movie, please answer that.

Potentially related to this might be region coding of the DVD and what region the DVD drive/software might be set to. I don't know if not having a matched region code would generate the "please insert DVD" message or some sort of message saying basically "cannot play this DVD due the region code".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users