Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where do I Download Windows XP SP3 in ISO?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 17,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:27 AM

@elfmagic, the link Mike posted for XP SP3 is a complete install and is not meant to upgrade SP2 to SP3. If you want to upgrade to SP3 then download it from the Windows update Catalog. It is the first link on the page

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=xp%20sp3

Note: Did you install SP3 to your existing SP2?

Attached Files

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 April 2017 - 09:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 elfmagic

elfmagic

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:14 AM

John C. I didn't see that option. I just booted from the CD and it said it was looking for additional installations of XP and apparently just installed it as a new installation, requested a new user ID (I thought) and then installed it as a second operating system that appears when I reboot from the hard drive.

#33 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 17,777 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:58 AM

Unfortunately, I am not sure how you would now remove the new OS. Are the programs you currently have on your original XP SP2 replaceable? In other words do you have the license key for your purchased programs and are the programs still available? If that is the case you could do a complete reinstall by wiping your two OSs. 

There is a Microsoft page explaining how to remove one OS. I am assuming your original OS was XP home. The new is XP pro. I would at least backup your important data before attempting the steps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/888023/how-to-remove-a-second-installation-of-a-windows-operating-system-from-a-partition

Is this your only computer? What is the make and model and how much RAM does it have. Is this computer used for basic browsing and email or do you have critical programs you need to run?

#34 elfmagic

elfmagic

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:24 PM

Unfortunately, I am not sure how you would now remove the new OS. Are the programs you currently have on your original XP SP2 replaceable? In other words do you have the license key for your purchased programs and are the programs still available? If that is the case you could do a complete reinstall by wiping your two OSs. 

There is a Microsoft page explaining how to remove one OS. I am assuming your original OS was XP home. The new is XP pro. I would at least backup your important data before attempting the steps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/888023/how-to-remove-a-second-installation-of-a-windows-operating-system-from-a-partition

Is this your only computer? What is the make and model and how much RAM does it have. Is this computer used for basic browsing and email or do you have critical programs you need to run?

Thank you, I'm sorry I didn't see this reply before.
It's a Dell 700/710 laptop. I have license keys for all the software I would be using in the future. Yes, I browse, and there are so many programs and utilities I use that It would be inconvenient to re-install everything under the new OS. I'll try to squeeze a new backup out of an old hard drive I can wipe. I guess I should review your link above and do the backup and do a little more research before I continue. I appreciate your advice. I guess I'm in for some work. 
Still, life is for learning. Thank you so much for putting me on the right track!

#35 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 17,777 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:07 PM

No problem, Good Luck. 

As you know there are no longer security updates for XP. I would not do any internet banking or purchases on the computer.

#36 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

• Members
  • 779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:36 PM

Hi, elfmagic.

See my post here for the XP Service Packs. The offer still stands, and the items in question are still on my Google Drive.

These are all standalone Network Administrator-type downloads. They were archived on good quality CDs many years hence, and uploaded to the Drive around a year ago. The thread in question was only posted following staff advice as to the status of XP, vis-a-vis posting links to software for it.

Hope that helps.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 20 April 2017 - 04:38 PM.

You can only be certain of three things in this life; Birth...Death......and TAXES!!!

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB external USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), PCI-e USB 3.0 adapter card, and external powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub (they ALL get used!)

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 64GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

jq9H7NR.gif

#37 elfmagic

elfmagic

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:45 AM

No problem, Good Luck. 

As you know there are no longer security updates for XP. I would not do any internet banking or purchases on the computer.

It's not like I have any money in the bank, anyway. Thank You. :)

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users