Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taskbar problems

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Efrigoc

Efrigoc

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:45 AM

From the two questions in this thread, it ends up as a one single topic because I figured out that they are both related. 
there are two problems regarding to this software.
I want a fix to make these problems to not appear again.

1.My first problem is that when I click on the program other than Chrome, the other application never seem to switch or restore when the program is already opened.
101352d1473859897t-two-google-chrome-pro
I'll just put in a scenario. Google Chrome may work fine normally, until the time when I want to switch other programs when needed. Changing other programs in the taskbar doesn't respond at all. Clicking the icon twice, right click the icon then restore the window, or even using alt+tab doesn't switch.

Switching back to desktop seems to work, even changing other Google Chrome tabs by drag and make a different window. The exception is this window here.

2.My second problem is the taskbar showing up when I watch videos on fullscreen
101360d1473863293t-two-google-chrome-pro
Normally, it doesn't appear at all, but you know the what the problem is all about so I won't explain it in detail.

When will it appear?
These problems will only appear occasionaly. But I do know is that there is a higher chance to happen if I turn my laptop to sleep mode and turn back on. I use a laptop.

What can you really do if you want to give a solution to my problem?

• You can ask me to download a different version of Google Chrome, but make sure that the version you give me is stable (I used Version 53.0.2785.89 m (64-bit)).
  • Adjust windows settings
  • Give a program for me to download if it's necessary
  • Well, you can give me anything to tweak Google Chrome to adjust its settings.

What things that I don't want

• Methods that only gives a "temporary" fix. That isn't what I ask for, even so I can do it on my own right now, but this makes this topic pointless.
  • To update Google Chrome software (I already did that)
  • To update Windows 10 (I already have the latest version)
  • Download "driver fix" or "Registry fixer" crap 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:29 AM

Hi Efrigoc,

Can answer few questions please.

1. Is this issue happens only when Chrome is opened?

2. Have you uninstall antivirus program to see issue resolves?

3. Is this issue happens within Safe Mode?

4. How you run Sfc /Scannow command?

5. How you scan for malware infection?

2GvnEq2.gif

#3 Efrigoc

Efrigoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:36 AM

Hi Efrigoc,

Can answer few questions please.

1. Is this issue happens only when Chrome is opened?

2. Have you uninstall antivirus program to see issue resolves?

3. Is this issue happens within Safe Mode?

4. How you run Sfc /Scannow command?

5. How you scan for malware infection?

I hope I can answer them right.

1.I think it is, but maybe I am wrong also. Right now I'm using Edge to test out if the outcome is the same as Chrome.

2. Didn't try that, but I won't risk it.

3.Never tried that.

4,Never tried that also, but I would right now if it isn't fixed.

5. How do I scan malware? I used Kapersky Antivirus 2016 and performed a full scan to my computer.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:05 AM

Scan for malware infection with MalwareBytes.
Repair Windows System files.

Open an elevated Command Prompt window (press win + X, and then press A)

Run below command from Command Prompt that is open as administrator.

Sfc  /Scannow

You would use DISM to fix Windows component store corruption when a sfc /scannow command is unable to repair corrupted or modified system files because the component store (source) is corrupted.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC should be able to repair the files afterwards. Execute below command to make sure corrupted system files repaired.

Sfc  /Scannow

You should uninstall antivirus program you wont get malware infection if after uninstalling the antivirus program you don't install any unknown programs you can also disable internet connection this is only to test if antivirus program causing the issue.

Boot Windows into Safe Mode see issue resolves.

Clean Boot
If the  error is caused by a current running process, restart your Windows system using the clean boot method will allow you to troubleshoot if a current service or process is causing the error to appear.
With a clean boot only the necessary services and process that are required to operate Windows are started when you boot your computer.
Follow these steps:
  • Start Windows

• Open Run dialog box by pressing  7W6b39o.png   keys.

• Type msconfig and press Enter key

• Go to General tab > check Selective Startup option

• Uncheck the Load startup items check box

• Go to Services tab

• Check Hide all Microsoft services check box from the bottom left corner of the window

• Click Disable all

• Click OK

• Restart Windows

To reset these changes and start your Windows normally, follow the same steps:
  • Go to the General tab
  • Check the Normal Startup option
  • Click OK
  • Restart
Install latest driver from device manufacturer or computer manufacturer website.

Never use registry cleaners they don't fix any registry errors they may even cause registry errors.

Install all Windows updates.

Update all installed applications.

2GvnEq2.gif

#5 Efrigoc

Efrigoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:25 PM

Scan for malware infection with MalwareBytes.
Repair Windows System files.

Open an elevated Command Prompt window (press win + X, and then press A)

Run below command from Command Prompt that is open as administrator.

Sfc  /Scannow

You would use DISM to fix Windows component store corruption when a sfc /scannow command is unable to repair corrupted or modified system files because the component store (source) is corrupted.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC should be able to repair the files afterwards. Execute below command to make sure corrupted system files repaired.

Sfc  /Scannow

You should uninstall antivirus program you wont get malware infection if after uninstalling the antivirus program you don't install any unknown programs you can also disable internet connection this is only to test if antivirus program causing the issue.

Boot Windows into Safe Mode see issue resolves.

Clean Boot
If the  error is caused by a current running process, restart your Windows system using the clean boot method will allow you to troubleshoot if a current service or process is causing the error to appear.
With a clean boot only the necessary services and process that are required to operate Windows are started when you boot your computer.
Follow these steps:
  • Start Windows

• Open Run dialog box by pressing  7W6b39o.png   keys.

• Type msconfig and press Enter key

• Go to General tab > check Selective Startup option

• Uncheck the Load startup items check box

• Go to Services tab

• Check Hide all Microsoft services check box from the bottom left corner of the window

• Click Disable all

• Click OK

• Restart Windows

To reset these changes and start your Windows normally, follow the same steps:
  • Go to the General tab
  • Check the Normal Startup option
  • Click OK
  • Restart
Install latest driver from device manufacturer or computer manufacturer website.

Never use registry cleaners they don't fix any registry errors they may even cause registry errors.

Install all Windows updates.

Update all installed applications.

I followed your instructions, until I got stuck.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p1r8m3524o6e211/3.PNG?dl=0

What do I do?

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 05:38 AM

I want you to use a program and execute a command and run Sfc and Dism again details are below.

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair is a tool designed help fix a large majority of known Windows problems including; registry errors, file permissions, issues with Internet Explorer, Windows Updates, Windows Firewall and more. Download Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool and run the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool from Safe Mode With Networking and  from Repairs tab click Open Repairs button. From opened Repairs window place check mark for  Reset Registry Permissions, Reset Service Permissions, Register System Files, Repair WMI, Repair Network, Repair Windows Firewall, Remove Policies Set By Infections, Repair Proxy Settings, Repair Windows Updates, Repair MSI (Windows Installer), Restore Important Windows Services, Set Windows Services To Default Startup, Repair Windows 8/10 Component Store, Restore Windows 8/10 COM+ Unmarshalers, Restore UAC (User Account Control) Settings, Repair Hosts File, Repair Performance Counters, Repair Volume Shadow Copy Service, Repair MDAC & MS Jet and Reset File Permissions check boxes and click Start Repair button.

Open the Start Menu  and type Powershell. When it comes up in the search results, right click on it and choose "Run as administrator". Or you can also press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open it as administrator. Opening PowerShell as administrator is important, otherwise, the commands you run will fail:

Type below command within powershell:

Get-AppxPackage –AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

2GvnEq2.gif

#7 Efrigoc

Efrigoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:59 AM

I want you to use a program and execute a command and run Sfc and Dism again details are below.

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair is a tool designed help fix a large majority of known Windows problems including; registry errors, file permissions, issues with Internet Explorer, Windows Updates, Windows Firewall and more. Download Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool and run the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool from Safe Mode With Networking and  from Repairs tab click Open Repairs button. From opened Repairs window place check mark for  Reset Registry Permissions, Reset Service Permissions, Register System Files, Repair WMI, Repair Network, Repair Windows Firewall, Remove Policies Set By Infections, Repair Proxy Settings, Repair Windows Updates, Repair MSI (Windows Installer), Restore Important Windows Services, Set Windows Services To Default Startup, Repair Windows 8/10 Component Store, Restore Windows 8/10 COM+ Unmarshalers, Restore UAC (User Account Control) Settings, Repair Hosts File, Repair Performance Counters, Repair Volume Shadow Copy Service, Repair MDAC & MS Jet and Reset File Permissions check boxes and click Start Repair button.

Open the Start Menu  and type Powershell. When it comes up in the search results, right click on it and choose "Run as administrator". Or you can also press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open it as administrator. Opening PowerShell as administrator is important, otherwise, the commands you run will fail:

Get-AppxPackage –AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

I need to ask a little.

I'll just do it later when I find the time.

Just a little question. If I do the aforementioned instructions from above, does that make everything I adjusted disappear? Like I need to tweak every registry I made from scratch.

Like I adjust the boot setup logon time, or reducing the time when I shut down the computer, or open certain programs by the task scheduler on startup?

If so, then I'm sorry to say this, but it seems that I cannot do it. I spend months tweaking my laptop and it's performance gone a little better, even the codes I did tweaked made corrupted.

Back from topic, I solved the issue from the command prompt sfc scannow by using DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth. It doesn't repair "all" the corrupted files, but it It did something. It doesn't fix my laptop but that doesn't seem the case.

Right now, I didn't have any problems from the taskbar and Chrome. I don't know if the taskbar is fixed because I removed some malware, but if the taskbar problem will be back, then I'll do your method of fixing because I don't have any other choice.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:46 PM

Well if you have made a registry setting changes that is protected by Windows Resource Protection (WRP) than those settings will be restore back but settings like reducing the time shut down of Windows will not be affected. 

After running Dism command don't forget to run SFC command.

Glad to know issue resolve for now but if its not then i will think one of your registry tweak is causing the issue.

2GvnEq2.gif

#9 Efrigoc

Efrigoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 09:00 PM

Well if you have made a registry setting changes that is protected by Windows Resource Protection (WRP) than those settings will be restore back but settings like reducing the time shut down of Windows will not be affected. 

After running Dism command don't forget to run SFC command.

Glad to know issue resolve for now but if its not then i will think one of your registry tweak is causing the issue.

It's been three days, but I will share some good points on my laptop.

The taskbar problem in Google Chrome is completely gone. I've been turning off and back on my laptop numerous times, and it's really, nothing, like my laptop feels normal.

I don't know how you come up with this, but thank you so much, it's been a big help for me.

As for your advice on resetting said points on my laptop, I think your advice is sound, but that is the least important thing to do with my laptop, and I don't think it's rewarding because I have to do the registry again from scratch. Besides, I came what I asked for.

But I have to do it when it's my last resort to fix my laptop.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:04 AM

You are very welcome, glad to know your issue has been resolved. I have written tutorial for Windows registry tweaks at my forums you may found registry tweak you have not done yet the url link to tutorial is below.

Windows Registry Tweaks for Windows

2GvnEq2.gif

#11 Efrigoc

Efrigoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:21 AM

You are very welcome, glad to know your issue has been resolved. I have written tutorial for Windows registry tweaks at my forums you may found registry tweak you have not done yet the url link to tutorial is below.

Windows Registry Tweaks for Windows

One of the issues came back,

Taskbar shows on fullscreen when I watch a Youtube video in Google Chrome

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:03 AM

Does the issue happens with other web browsers like Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge browsers.

2GvnEq2.gif

#13 Efrigoc

Efrigoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:33 AM

Does the issue happens with other web browsers like Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge browsers.

No apparently. But my excuse is that I don't use other browsers. I guess that the computer got on it's limits at day 6.

Edited by Efrigoc, 26 September 2016 - 07:34 AM.

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:12 PM

Install latest version of flash player.

Make sure Taskbar is locked right click the the Taskbar and from context menu select "Lock the Taskbar".

Install latest version of graphic card driver.

2GvnEq2.gif

#15 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:28 PM

Problem #2: Chrome appearing over the task bar in Windows 10 is a known issue. It happened on both my monitors, now it only happens on my secondary, in full screen or not. Fullscreen on the primary monitors works the way it should. Google has been notified, I am not sure if Microsoft has. I am also not sure the source of the problem, whether it is Chrome or Windows. I think in my testing I discovered the issue was Chrome.

Problem #1: Are you saying programs do not appear when you click on them in the taskbar? You click on say, a photoshop window, and it never appears on screen where it should? Does this only happen when Chrome or something is open, or does it happen all the time?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users