Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows not booting to BIOS after several BSOD flashes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kspace_212

kspace_212

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:59 AM

Hey everyone, I don't even know where to start.  

A few weeks ago I had the extra money to upgrade some of the components in my computer.  I upgraded to 32 GB of RAM, reinstalled Windows 10 to a SSD, and bought a new GFX card.  The GFX card didn't arrive until two days ago, and I promptly realized I needed a new PSU.  The GFX card is a GeForce GTX 1080, the new PSU is a Corsair CX750, RAM is in 4 8 GB Cosair Vengeance cards.  This is my motherboard: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03132942.  

Once I installed everything, the computer was running fine.  Potentially independently of all of this, I was sporadically receiving an error that my WD external harddrive was having power surges.  I attempted to troubleshoot this issue, but came away with the general consensus that this was some error in Windows 10.  Once I installed the new PSU, I was receiving this warning about the WD drive more frequently so I attempted to really troubleshoot the issue.  Upgrading/rolling back drivers/etc. yielded to the drive suddenly not working.  Power light was on and it was whirring, but no connection and not showing up in devices.  I then tried plugging it into my MacBook.  Nothing their either.  Back to the PC, tried a few more things, still nothing.  Plugged it back into the Mac, turned around to change what outlet I had the external plugged into and turned around to see the MacBook would no longer turn on.  I saw online that some other people had an issue similar to this where the external went around the surge protection inside of the Mac and friend the power supply or something along those lines (I'm not quite as tech savvy as I'd like to think I am, obviously).  So, now the MacBook is getting checked out by the Mac Store.  Cool, I thought that was the end of my trouble.  

Back to the PC, I get on it today to do some work off of a different drive, but also a WD, and I am reminded that it's Mac-formatted.  Somewhere in here, for reasons I don't remember, I unplugged my gaming keyboard from one of the USB ports it is plugged into, leaving the second plugged in.  I think I was checking if the Mac-formatted WD was working in a different port, before remembering it was Mac-Formatted.  I plug the keyboard back in, but now my mouse (which is plugged into the keyboard) won''t work.  I try unplugging both USB cables to the keyboard and plugging them back in.  Now the keyboard won't turn on either.  So I force restart the computer.  All is well.  I do have to force my computer to enter boot mode, because I have two hard drives connected to it at the moment, both with Windows 10 installed on them.  A messy thing I haven't cleaned up yet from upgrading to the SSD.  

So the computer starts back up and I install MacDrive so that I can read/write to the Mac WD drive.  No issues with the install, but it needs a reboot to work, so I reboot the computer.  It allows me to enter boot mode, and it circles for a while before I get the blue screen of sad faces.  Restart, and again it does the same thing.  Third time it enters automatic repair mode.  When the computer again restarts the keyboard flashes on a couple of times before it shuts down again.  It keeps looping like this until I manually shut it down.  Then when I attempted to restart it, nothing happens.  The fans turn on the lights inside the computer (but not the keyboard) turn on, but no boot.  No bios.  So I tried removing the watch battery to reset the bios.  Nothing.  Remove the graphics card and replace it with the old one.  Nothing.  Remove the PSU and use the old GFX card.  Nothing.  Remove two RAM cards. Nothing.  Swap for the other two RAM cards. Nothing.  Swap back and forth between the PSUs and GFX cards as I can and nothing.  I have no idea what else to try.  Everything I'm reading online says its a PSU issue, but it doesn't work with either PSU.  

Please let me know what other information I can provide.  Since I can't turn my computer on I can only give you info I can find from the hardware itself, so please bare with me and thanks in advance! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:32 AM

If you cannot get into Windows; please start with these free bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

If they pass, then try this procedure:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Once you can get into Windows, Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 kspace_212

kspace_212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:54 AM

Hey thanks for the response. Unfortunately I don't think this will work, as the computer doesn't even go to Bios, so I'm not sure how I would install anything to it right now. I am getting no beep on startup and nothing on the monitor.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 05:49 AM

If you can't get into the BIOS/boot from a CD/DVD then there's not much to do here.
I'd suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums for a more expert opinion:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users