Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

8/16 GB RAM v.s. 1TB+ HDD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 VishIsBoss

VishIsBoss

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 09:29 PM

I currently have a TOSHIBA Satellite L855-S5372, it's in my opinion a very good laptop well before it started running slow. This is a family laptop and many tasks can be handled by this laptop. However lately its been acting strangly, the computer has slowed down a lot and there is always somewhat of a delay for even typing a word. It's not like this is a bad computer. So pretty much i've come to the conclusion that I should probably just get 8-16 GB RAM or a better HDD (From what i've heard). Now, since I can't afford both I have come upon these forums for help. My system specs are below:

Intel Core i7 (3rd Gen) 3630QM / 2.4 GHz - Turbo Boost 3.4

Quad-Core 6 MB Cache 

RAM is 6 MB (1x4 GB and 1x2 GB) DDR3L SDRAM 1660MHz

Intel HD Graphics 4000

640GB HDD 5400rpm

I think that is all the information we need currently, if you need to know more, feel free to ask. I will accept any opinions whatsoever. 

Edited by hamluis, 25 September 2016 - 03:14 PM.
Moved from System Building to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:51 AM

You can check on Task manager if memory is running out.

(Nearly) broken HDD can also cause issues like that. Replace it with new one or even SSD and probelem may be solved.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:31 PM

I have same machine, I put an SSD what a difference big boost.  By now the spinner in yours may be getting tired, I swapped mine out awhile back thinking the same about mine.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 23 September 2016 - 12:09 PM

I'd actually like to look at some system data before saying what actions could be taken to improve system operation.  You have a 5400 RPM hard drive, so going to a faster drive should give some appearance of improvement...depending on what you do on the system, 6GB RAM in single mode may be all you need.  It depends on what you do.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course): p22004369.gif

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot. You will see the following prompt:

p22004371.gif

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

p22004372.gif

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:54 PM

You may not even need a hardware upgrade at all, if the system is running slow it could be because you are loading so many apps in the background.
Getting a SSD isnt a bad idea however they are still small in space for the price (I only have the one I got in my machine now as it was just knocked down from $120 to $70)

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 25 September 2016 - 12:33 PM

There are many things which can cause a computer to run slower.  But since this computer originally ran much better I don't believe the first solution to try would be adding a new SSD.

Once you have posted the Speccy we will be able to see what RAM was added.  If the added module is slower than original modules the original RAM will underclock to the speed of the slower module.

Since this is a "family" computer this opens the possibility that third party software may have inadvertently been installed when downloading and installing programs online.  The author of the software can generate more revenue by allowing third party software to be bundled with their own software.  These third party applications can contain anything from toolbars, potentially unwanted software, even adware.  The third party software can usually be avoided by using the custom installation options.  This allows you to see every application being offered so that you will have the option to decline the applications you don't want it.

The program I'm going to suggest you run is considered to be a security scan, a tool usually relegated to the security forums.  But it does find PUPs (potentially unwanted programs) such as the third party applications I mentioned previously.

Please run AdwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner and install it.

When AdwCleaner opens you will see an image like the one below.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Click on Scan to start the scan.

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.

If there are no malicious programs are found you will receive the following message.

adwcleaner%20111_zpsiduqrrrp.png  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  If you have any questions about any items in the list please copy and paste the list in your topic so we can review it.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be closed so that the infections can be removed.  Click on OK.  The computer will be restarted to complete the cleaning process.

When the cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your topic.

Periodic maintenance becomes important with different users.  Regular defragmenting the hdd, using the disk cleanup tool, clearing the temp file folder, and the list goes on.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users