Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media Center Edition

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sandy K

Sandy K

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:40 PM

I'm looking to install Windows MCE on a computer I plan to build. When I look at CD/DVD drives, they only say Operating systems supported: Windows XP/ME/2000. Does Windows XP include Media Center Edition?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LaZyFLiP07

LaZyFLiP07

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:51 PM

Yup.

#3 Sandy K

Sandy K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:59 PM

Great, Thanks!

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 06:19 AM

Media center edition is a variation of XP Home, but make sure you have a motherboard and the proper peripherals that can support it.

It will usually require specific video cards with various in and out sources which standard cards do not have, and the same for sound.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:12 AM

Recently I've found that MCE is turning out to be cheaper (on OEM systems) than XPHome. If that's the case with you - go for it.

If XPHome is cheaper, go for it - as the tools in the Media Center Edition can be easily replaced by freeware apps that will do a better job of playing your media.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Andrew T

Andrew T

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:17 AM

Same person as Sandy K but new name

Windows XP Home is $90 w/plus is $107

Media Center Edition is $110. However, there are two versions. one is "w/update rollup release 2" and just "SP2B"

What is the difference between the two MCE's?

Is MCE worth $20 more?

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:24 AM

I would suggest the one with the latest release date - means less you will have to download as far as updates go.

I think MCE also comes with and without remote controls.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:23 AM

I suspect (but am not certain) that the SP2B is someone's way of trying to say that the update rollup has been included in the package.

I'd go with the XP Home. There are freeware applications that will do the same thing as MCE - and they're free! So, save the $20 and post your requirements here so we can recommend some nice freeware for you.

FWIW - I recommend the freeware program Audacity for most of your audio needs.

Finally, I'm not a fan of MCE because it seems (to me) to be a kludge of XPHome, XPPro, and other media related apps. MCE is supposedly XPHome with media center functionality added. But, there's bits of XPPro code that has been known to cause problems within it when trying to run SFC.EXE (mostly with Dell's).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Andrew T

Andrew T

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:43 AM

Oops. I just purchased last night.

Guess I should have checked back first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users