Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse Lag Or Something Else?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 04:33 PM

It's a bit hard to describe & doesn't seem to be triggered by anything in particular. Sometimes it can occur several times a day or only a couple per week. Whether I'm gaming or on YouTube my mouse can start to lag. E.G: I'm moving the mouse around when suddenly the once fluid movement begins to stutter horribly. Sometimes a system restart appears to fix this but in all honestly it seems completely irrelevant since the lag/stutter can completely cease on it's own regardless of what I do or don't try. My Display Drivers are an up-to-date fresh install thanks to DDU. That I'm aware of no program or service is causing this as I've monitored all active ones during that time & nothing unusual starts. My Corsair Katar mouse drivers & CUE are up-to-date as well but I do have a suspicion that it's still somehow my GPU. Mainly because whenever I've performed a clean install, during that time of using the standard VGA graphics no such lag ever occurred.

1: Could this be the fault of my GPU simply being too old & low-end?

2: Could my CPU also be the culprit or even HDD?

3: What are the most common causes of mouse-lag, if that's what this is considered?

• Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
  • Antivirus Software: Microsoft Security Essentials & Malwarebytes (scanner only)
  • Firewall: Windows Firewall & Router/Modem's
  • Computer: CyberpowerPC Desktop PC Gamer Ultra 2082
  • CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 260 3.2GHz
  • Motherboard: ASUS M4N68T-M-V2
  • RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz
  • Storage:1TB Hitachi HDS721010CLA SCSI
  • Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB
  • Soundcard: Integrated
  • Power Supply: TurboLink ATX-TL 500W-BK 12V
  • Case: AZZA Orion 202 EVO Black / Red SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) | MasterCase Pro 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:32 PM

Can you try a different mouse (i.e. have another one to try, borrow one from a friend, or maybe even buy a cheap mouse)? Or try your mouse on another computer to see if the same thing happens? This would help try to eliminate whether it might be an issue with the mouse itself.

Have you tried removing the mouse drivers to see if that helps? Basically any mouse will work without the manufacturer specific drivers at least when it comes to basic functions (i.e. move, right-click, left-click, and scroll if there is a scroll wheel). The manufacturer specific drivers are there to support any extra buttons or features.

Last thing to try is to leave the Windows Task Manager open while using the computer to see if you see a spike in CPU usage when the mouse lags. You can first try the Performance tab, but also try the Process and/or Application tabs as they can show either a process or application that might be hogging the CPU.

#3 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 05:24 PM

Can you try a different mouse (i.e. have another one to try, borrow one from a friend, or maybe even buy a cheap mouse)? Or try your mouse on another computer to see if the same thing happens? This would help try to eliminate whether it might be an issue with the mouse itself.

Have you tried removing the mouse drivers to see if that helps? Basically any mouse will work without the manufacturer specific drivers at least when it comes to basic functions (i.e. move, right-click, left-click, and scroll if there is a scroll wheel). The manufacturer specific drivers are there to support any extra buttons or features.

Last thing to try is to leave the Windows Task Manager open while using the computer to see if you see a spike in CPU usage when the mouse lags. You can first try the Performance tab, but also try the Process and/or Application tabs as they can show either a process or application that might be hogging the CPU.

I've tried all of that including ensuring that Windows doesn't turn my USB's off to save power. A closer examination during this lag I notice that everything is effected. Moving the mouse, clicking on something to minimize, maximize, restore or even pause a video. Is it just me or does that point more towards GPU stuttering?

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) | MasterCase Pro 3

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:22 PM

I've tried all of that including ensuring that Windows doesn't turn my USB's off to save power. A closer examination during this lag I notice that everything is effected. Moving the mouse, clicking on something to minimize, maximize, restore or even pause a video. Is it just me or does that point more towards GPU stuttering?

Generally, if everything is effected, then it is more likely something related to the CPU as the GPU would only effect graphics.

Did you try leaving the Windows Task Manager open to see if there was a CPU spike?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users