Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchasing new gaming desktop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lumieres

Lumieres

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 01:21 PM

Hello all you computer geniuses. I'm trying to get me a new gaming desktop because my laptop can't handle new games anymore. Now...I've never purchased a desktop before so I have no idea what I should be looking for. 

I'm looking at around $1,500 or lower as my price range (to include monitor, keyboard and speakers) and hoping for it to run most games smoothly. Can you please suggest me some good desktop/monitor that would fit this description? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 01:46 PM

Laptop or Desktop? Desktop

My budget for the new computer is: $1,500

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?

What software do you intend on using on the computer?

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

Will you be overclocking?

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?

How many monitors are you planning to use?

Do you need peripherals? OS?
Monitor, keyboard, speakers

Do you want pre-built machine or can you build it yourself?

Fill the rest.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 19 September 2016 - 01:46 PM.

#3 Lumieres

Lumieres
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 01:58 PM

Laptop or Desktop? Desktop

My budget for the new computer is: $1,500

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? Games

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Mostly just games

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? Mostly Overwatch, and lots of different games from Steam

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? At minimum game + browser is preferred.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? No

Will you be overclocking? No

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? I've never shopped for desktop before so I'm uncertain, any suggestions to optimal locations for purchase would be appreciated.

How many monitors are you planning to use? One.

Do you need peripherals? OS? Monitor, keyboard, speakers

Do you want pre-built machine or can you build it yourself? I built one before and it turned out to be a disaster, so pre-built one would be nice!

Filled the rest! Thank you Mr/Mrs/Ms. Drillingmachine!

Edited by Lumieres, 19 September 2016 - 01:59 PM.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:13 PM

Filled the rest! Thank you Mr/Mrs/Ms. Drillingmachine!

Overwatch is not very heavy game. And "different Steam games" mean light games?

In that case you are good with much cheaper computer than $1500.

#5 Lumieres

Lumieres
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:41 PM

Thank you Mr. Drillingmachine, first time here didn't see the male part! I also purchased few other games I was unable to play on my laptop such as "Thief" or "The Forest", I'm not certain how heavy of games they are but I just wanted to name a few that I couldn't play on my laptop. 

But if I can run Overwatch and games with similar requirements at highest performance while having no issues with alt-tabbing for smaller multitasking, that would be perfect. To hear that it will be much cheaper than $1500 is a great news though! Do you have any recommendations by chance?

#6 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:48 PM

I don't mean to be a downer but most pre-built PC's even in the $1,500.00 price range are gonna be a ripoff. Essentially you're paying $200.00 or more for whoever it is to assemble it. So in terms of actual hardware value, subtracting the cost of monitor & peripherals. The power of the tower itself would only be worth $800.00 if that with likely no upgrade path. Grant it I've never used Steam so I have no idea how demanding those games are but still. Below is a link to my Newegg wishlist on the PC I plan to build in coming months for $1,000.00 or less. Please note that no GPU or Case is selected at the current $710.00 price tag. Which would leave $100.00 or less for the case & $190.00 or less for the graphics card. If I was buying a pre-built PC with these same specs it would likely cost $200.00 or more than my budget. One final thing to be extremely cautious of is the quality of hardware used in most pre-built machines. Mine came priced with a 500W PSU, although it only delivered ½ that & died in a month. Naturally, the replacement they sent me was just as cheap in terms of power delivery but it's at least not died yet. So please consider building your own instead, take it from my bad experience, it'll last you a lot longer.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=23584349

Edited by Mike_Soda, 19 September 2016 - 02:49 PM.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) | MasterCase Pro 3

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:13 PM

Thank you Mr. Drillingmachine, first time here didn't see the male part! I also purchased few other games I was unable to play on my laptop such as "Thief" or "The Forest", I'm not certain how heavy of games they are but I just wanted to name a few that I couldn't play on my laptop. 

But if I can run Overwatch and games with similar requirements at highest performance while having no issues with alt-tabbing for smaller multitasking, that would be perfect. To hear that it will be much cheaper than $1500 is a great news though! Do you have any recommendations by chance?

I agree what Mike_Soda said. If you can build your own machine (or pay to someone that builds it), it's best choice.

As your demands are not huge right now, you basically have three good choices if you ask me:

1. Buy cheap machine and upgrade heavily (means changing motherboard) later.

2. Buy cheap machine that has great upgrade path (without changing motherboard)

3. Buy high end machine that will last very long performance wise (without changing motherboard).

For 1, you are saving lot of money now but if your demands change, you need to upgrade quite heavily.

For 2, only wise option is Socket AM4 that is not yet available. About a month or so?

For 3, you can upgrade video card if you want games run better, CPU should last at least 5 years even on heavy use.

Make a pick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users