Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk usage at 100% and laptop being extremely loud

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 doobiedoob

doobiedoob

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:24 AM

Hello all,

My girlfriend uses a Lenovo Z50 laptop. It hadn't been used for a few months and when we took it out again recently it was being extremely loud (usually right after startup, before even logging in) and the disk usage has consistently been at 100%. I've tried all the fixes listed online, including but not limited to: disabling various services, chkdsk, various different virtual memory settings, and just about every virus scan imaginable (all the ones recommended on here like rkill, tdsskiller, malwarebytes, anti-spyware, JRT, plus others like AVG etc.). Nothing has worked. Various things I've done have made it temporarily drop down and for a while the disk usage was lower but the laptop was still extremely loud, but now it's back up to 100% more or less all the time and the loudness is driving us crazy as she liked to use it for watching movies. I've run S.M.A.R.T scans and the harddrive health seems to be okay.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've spent hours on this and nothing has worked.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:31 PM

My first guess would be that the hard drive has a physical rather than an electronic problem - like bearings going bad.

Unless there's a better idea I'd recommend a new hard drive

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users