Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing programs on a Win 10 Pro laptop w/o an optical drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DBAPaul

DBAPaul

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 09:56 AM

I purchased a Win 10 Pro laptop w/o an optical drive, how do I install third party programs on this puppy?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:00 AM

You install most programs via a download. Very few programs in the year 2016 come on a DVD, so you are going to be fine. For example I have over 45 programs installed on my computer and only one came on a DVD, Adobe Photoshop. The rest were acquired via a download.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 DBAPaul

DBAPaul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:19 AM

How would I convert a DVD program to a useable USB drive for an install?

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:48 AM

I purchased a Win 10 Pro laptop w/o an optical drive, how do I install third party programs on this puppy?

If it's not to personal what program are we talking about here? it might help to answer your question.

If you paid for it and have it on disk, you might still be able to enter your personal I.D. and download from the official internet site instead.  Don't download from un-official sites if possible, if you have further questions just ask.  In some situations you could Copy it to a USB with another computer and then install.

Edited by pcpunk, 19 September 2016 - 10:52 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 DBAPaul

DBAPaul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:06 AM

I'm looking to install a copy of Acronis True Image Local on my laptop to enable a fresh reimage before I actually put work into setting it up.

I've had the unused software about 2 months was going to use it on another upgraded Win 10.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,939 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:41 AM

I'm looking to install a copy of Acronis True Image Local on my laptop to enable a fresh reimage before I actually put work into setting it up.

I've had the unused software about 2 months was going to use it on another upgraded Win 10.

Acronis is available via download from their official site.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,939 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:43 AM

I have Acronis installed on this system and I have installed it on many other people's systems just by downloading the program from Acronis, you do not need a DVD installer for that.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:18 PM

How would I convert a DVD program to a useable USB drive for an install?

Assuming you have access to a DVD drive, you can use programs like PowerISO, MagicISO, and ISOCreator (my pick) to convert the discs to a file. You can then use something like PowerISO, MagicISO, Daemon Tools, or WinCDemu (my pick) to mount the .ISO files and run them like a disc.

Note: Last I checked, Daemon Tools came with adware. I am not sure about Power/Magic ISO. I know WinCDemu and ISOCreator are ad free.

#9 DBAPaul

DBAPaul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:47 PM

Acronis is available via download from their official site.

Yea, I know but this is an unused Disk version I was trying to make use of.  I guess I'll put it on my old 'upgraded' Win 10 laptop and buy another copy for my new optical drive-less Win 10 laptop.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 01:31 PM

Yea, I know but this is an unused Disk version I was trying to make use of.  I guess I'll put it on my old 'upgraded' Win 10 laptop and buy another copy for my new optical drive-less Win 10 laptop.

If it is a PAID version then you should be able to use your customer "Serial Number" to download it.  This might be in the info you got with CD, or on the CD.  I would contact them and find out if you don't know.  Go to Downloads and Documentation, which is the second link.  If it is a free version then just download and install.

http://www.acronis.com/en-us/support/

If you have the S.N. then you can go to this part and sign up.

https://kb.acronis.com/content/2900

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users