Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nemucod Trojan's .CRYPTED Ransomware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Yabba Doo

Yabba Doo

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:27 AM

After printing out all of the instructions for decrypting last night, this morning when I came back to my computer, I cannot access anything on it.  The taskbar is missing, CTRL+ALT+DEL and Windows key does nothing.  Can I:

1.   Reboot?  Will that allow me to use my computer?

2.   I can't find any unencrypted files to use.  The majority of the encrypted files on my computer are PDF files.   If I take a WordPerfect file and save it to PDF, will it automatically become encrypted? 

3.  After the now 2-day deadline, if I have not unencrypted all the affected files, will they disappear from my computer?

Thanks again for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:27 AM

No, your files will not disappear. Do not pay the criminals, it is a bluff, and you can decrypt your files for free. You just need to follow the instructions and find an encrypted file that you have an original of. It could be something you have backed up elsewhere, a Sample Picture in C:/Users/Public/Pictures that can be obtained from another computer, something you downloaded from a website recently that can b le re-downloaded, a file you downloaded from an email from someone...

Also please do not open new topics. You were directed to the Nemucod support topic (twice), where many others are subscribed and can help. You are more likely to receive help by not opening a whole new topic.

As for the issue of what sounds like Explorer not starting, you can try safe mode. It's possible something got messed up from the Kovter Trojan that comes bundled with Nemucod. You may need assistance in cleaning up the system in the Malware Removal forums.

Edited by Demonslay335, 19 September 2016 - 07:29 AM.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:39 AM

Rather than have everyone with individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any more questions, comments or requests for assistance in the above support topic discussion. To avoid unnecessary confusion, this topic is closed.

Thanks
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users