Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sata connection inside laptop not seated correctly.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ahof

ahof

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:07 AM

I've got a laptop and the Sata connection inside isn't seated properly. I therefore can't connect my hard drive to it. I was just wanting to know if there was a way to re-seat it or would I need to replace the system board/get a new laptop?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:43 AM

It looks like the connection separated from the motherboard. Best case would be the connector would need to be soldered to the motherboard and that may not work. Worst case you need a new motherboard.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:53 AM

That second pic there & the four pin holes on the end (top) looks pretty damaged. I would say a complete connector replacement is needed.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 01:16 PM

Replacement of the MOBO is about the only cure.  I've only seen this once, and it was the user who opened and removed the hard drive, but they had to lift the drive from horizontal to get a grip and pull loose from the connector.  In doing so, the connections were broken and the connector bent, not allowing proper alignment when remounting the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users