Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

usb flash drives slow to startup after a while

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:43 PM

This is noticible on ALL of my usb flash drives regardless which computer I use them on.  When new, the flash drives open quickly, or in a few seconds.  After a while of being used, they become very slow to startup when plugged in.  Reason for this?  Normal for slowness when no longer brand-new?   Few days old, startup or open fast.  Few weeks of age, slow very slow to startup or open.

Do what about it?  Use external hard drive instead?  Pure storage on CD or DVD?  I like the convenience of the usb flash drive and ability to run some programs on them, although I use mostly usb flash drives for external storage.  I'm curious to know more about them, and if I'm expecting too much from them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:11 PM

On the average, how much data is on these things?  If you were to run WinTree or something similar, about how many data folders and data files would show up?  What is the format for most of these sticks?  NTFS?  FAT32?  How many GBs are most of these sticks?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:48 AM

RolandJS

Example is, a 4 GB capacity drive/flash, 1.3 GB of contents, FAT32.  I've been using it about a year, maybe longer.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:33 PM

RolandJS

Example is, a 4 GB capacity drive/flash, 1.3 GB of contents, FAT32.  I've been using it about a year, maybe longer.

How slow is "very slow"? Extra seconds? Extra minutes?

If extra seconds, then it could just be that it takes more time to "read" the directory when mounting the drive now that you have data on it. When you first get it, there will either be nothing on the flash drive or maybe a folder with some utilities. If you now have a bunch of folders on the drive, it just may take more time for the drive to mount due to having the read all those folders in the directory.

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:07 PM

RolandJS

If extra seconds, then it could just be that it takes more time to "read" the directory when mounting the drive now that you have data on it. When you first get it, there will either be nothing on the flash drive or maybe a folder with some utilities. If you now have a bunch of folders on the drive, it just may take more time for the drive to mount due to having the read all those folders in the directory.

A minute or longer to wait for the dialog box to open; and then I click on Open To View Folders.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:14 AM

1 minute seems too long, maybe.  My 16GB [3.5 occupied] took almost 25-30 seconds to cough up a directory via explorer.exe.  There are several free usb stick utilities that might be helpful to speed things up; however, before you use any such utility, back up the contents onto your hard-drive or external HD.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:40 PM

RolandJS

A minute or longer to wait for the dialog box to open; and then I click on Open To View Folders.

Ah, you are dealing with AutoPlay. Personally, I turn that off (I want to browse the drive 99.99% of the time, so the other options are never used in my case...so I just open Windows Explorer and plug in the drive with AutoPlay turned off).

In the case of AutoPlay, it makes even a bit more sense potentially to me. I believe AutoPlay has to kind of analyze what is on the USB flash drive to be ready to deal with all the available options. This is beyond just mounting the drive. So, after the drive mounts, then Windows likely has to do some work.

If you turn off AutoPlay and then open up Windows Explorer and plug in a USB drive, how long does it take for the drive to mount?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users