Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD's on startup and randomly throughout session. OC fails as well.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 romtim

romtim

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:13 PM

Hello kind people, 
My processor's cooling system's pump failed a few weeks ago, so I've recently replaced it with a new one. Had to really push in the cooler (h100i v2), to secure the screws, was worried about damaging the processor, but apparently everything was fine for a few days. Then the last 2 days I started noticing weird issues when playing games or just doing something, occasionally my earphones / speakers would make a stuttering noise and I'd experience a micro-freeze. I restarted the computer, nothing changed, so I thought that maybe for some reason the current OC doesn't work well. 

I played with OC of the processor to pre-pump-failure levels, to about 4.5ghz. That did not work well, for some reason W10 started crashing with BSOD's related to the CPU, so I decided to play around with voltages, frequencies to achieve stability. After some time I realized that for some reason all kinds of OC's are failing, and I decided to completely roll back the OC and go to 3.8ghz (what it was before). However I continued to get different kinds of BSOD's, and they started happening all the time. Sometimes before the OS loaded, sometimes after I logged on, sometimes 30 seconds later.

Most of the BSOD's shifted to memory-related issues, so I started googling around and trying whatever I could. I reverted back to a 10hour ago backup of windows (I have no images, I failed here), but it didn't change anything. The startup repair doesn't fix anything, fails as well. Right now for some reason the system got more stable, but everything is REALLY slow, laggy and crashing, and BSOD's are occuring all the time.

I did a memory test (the built in windows one), but it didn't show any problems with the RAM. I am unsure what I can do, since the problem consisted of 2 parts. Apparently my OC attempts have corrupted Windows, and after I turned off OC, windows is still crashing. So if I reinstall windows completely (would prefer not to, but don't see any other options), then I will still have the problem with overclocking. Why in the world would windows crash when I set it to 4.2ghz and gave the vcore 1.375 or even 1.4volts (overkill)? I ran on 4.6-4.8ghz before for years on the same config, and the only thing that has changed was the cooler. and the cooler also got better btw. 

What can/should I do?
Thank you!

P.S.

Here are a few minidumps -

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 romtim

romtim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:39 PM

http://imgur.com/a/erX8T - so this just became super low for w/e reason

and also the memory 89 test is throwing errors at me apparently.

Can both of these be due to a broken cpu (as its in the middle between them)?

Everything is loading super slow and laggy. I was able to launch wow with decent fps, but had constant microfreezes, especially in combat.

Also while nothing is running, the system is throwing me 75% cpu usage or so on all kinds of stuff, system and compressed memory, antimalware service, service hoist disk defragmenter, rundll32 are eating 10% each or so.

Edited by romtim, 18 September 2016 - 08:42 PM.

#3 romtim

romtim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:48 AM

There are two kinds of mem86 test apparently, the visual one (where you get to select config, tests and so on, on a black bg) throws errors at every ram stick (tried separately at different slots). The other one (blue bg, simple version that just launches itself automatically) doesn't show any errors.
Windows memory checker also doesn't show any errors.

I've also reseated the cooler, to make sure that its not too tight anymore (it was too tight, so maybe the damage is done already). The system appears more stable, but still the errors at the visual memtest? and Iops are so low at random read/write of my ssd. The cpu tasks that used to take 1% each take 5% each now, the cpu is constantly under 20-30% load (its a 6core with hyperthreading).

I'm starting to think that its either the CPU itself or the motherboard. It's unlikely that all 4 memory sticks got fried for some reason. However I took out and inspected the cpu, there are no visible cracks or defects. The motherboard does not look bent as well.

I'm running out of ideas. I would just reinstall windows (since its apparently corrupted and unstable), but why did the memtest throw errors then?

Anybody please!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:16 AM

I would suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums - as this appears to be a hardware problem:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users