Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

update 17 Sep 2016

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Emcee12

Emcee12

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:07 PM

am I the only one that has had problems with this update that came on last night.  First - I am unable to download my email (I still use Live and it worked just fine last night) Spent 4 hours this morning trying to get it to work.  Gave up and went to my Shaw site and read all my emails.  Next, my Windows Player crashes after playing only one song - I usually have this on all day and listen to music or books while doing other stuff.  My computer is going slower than my old commodore 64........SLOW!  

Any ideas out there - short of me taking it in again - to the techies?  Since Windows 10 was installed it has been in the shop 5 times!  Almost ready to give up and go buy a Mac!

I ma relatively computer literate but this has really frustrated me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 04:54 AM

Hi Emcee12,

Is this the Anniversary Update flavour of Windows 10, or the non-AU one?

Sounds like something has got corrupted in your installation.  Run up an elevated command line prompt and enter the following command:

sfc /scannow

Sometimes it asks for a reboot before it can do any work and if it does that, reboot and repeat the exercise before you run any other programs.

If that fails or encounters a problem it cannot fix, then you could try using DISM to check and restore the system's health:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Again, run that in an elevated command line and see what happens.  May be a good idea to back your system up before you begin, preferably take an image copy.

If it finds anything untoward, then run this command:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

More info on DISM can be found here: http://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Post back with how it goes!

I had a problem once where System Restore was turned off, and I could not turn it on.  sfc (system file checker) found a problem it couldn't fix, but DISM found it and fixed it and I was able to use System Restore normally again.

Do you have the KB number of the update you're trying to install?  There is one that has caused problems recently by getting 'stuck' and the solution there is to download it from Microsoft's website and install it manually.

Edited by Angoid, 19 September 2016 - 05:00 AM.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:33 AM

Press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key at the same time to open the Run box. Copy and paste or type in winver, then press Enter.  This will show the version of Windows 10 you have running.

If the version is Version 1607 you have the anniversary version.

If the version is Version 1511 you have the November update version.

Edited by dc3, 19 September 2016 - 08:36 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Emcee12

Emcee12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:16 PM

Thank you - I have version 1511.  I will do the above tomorrow and let you know.

Emcee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users