Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer server

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 maxcool

maxcool

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:44 PM

Hi All, need help with connecting printer to home network, I got airport time capsule 2TB and removed my old router, hoping to re-use it as print server by flashing it with dd-wrt

Hardware:
Printer canon MP250 (has USB cable but no Ethernet cable)
Linksys E1200 (my old router, no USB)
Home router is Airport time capsule 2TB ( far away from the printer location)

not sure if possible or not, but buying a convert box (from USB to ethernet, like this one Insten® POTHRJ45AD02 USB Type A to RJ45 Ethernet Adapter, Black | Staples®) and connect the printer to the linksys e1200 router after flashing it with dd-wrt will do or not?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:19 PM

Hi All, need help with connecting printer to home network, I got airport time capsule 2TB and removed my old router, hoping to re-use it as print server by flashing it with dd-wrt

Hardware:

not sure if possible or not, but buying a convert box (from USB to ethernet, like this one Insten® POTHRJ45AD02 USB Type A to RJ45 Ethernet Adapter, Black | Staples®) and connect the printer to the linksys e1200 router after flashing it with dd-wrt will do or not?

Thanks

That adapter will not do what you want it to do. It is an adapter not a converter. All it does is "adapt" from a USB cable to an ethernet cable, but does not "convert" the USB "language" to ethernet "language".

You will need an actual print server device. You can buy them separately, but you can also find them included in things like routers (like the one in the Time Capsule) & network attached storage devices (aka "network drives"), but not all have them.

Here is an example of a separate print server (not meant as a recommendation, but rather an example):

https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Server-1-Port-GPSU21-Silver/dp/B000FW60FW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474323481&sr=8-1&keywords=print+server

There are many other options out there.

#3 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:39 PM

There is two possibilities:

• set up homegroup
  • or set up home server

So simple it is.

#4 sweedishfish

sweedishfish

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:12 PM

Why not just use a cloud printer? Free and effective

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:12 AM

You could also connect it to a networked computer and Share the printer. 

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:14 PM

Why not just use a cloud printer? Free and effective

A cloud printer is by default an networked printer (albeit printing through the Internet rather than just through the local network). Since the original poster is trying to connect an existing non-network printer to the network, I am not sure how this suggest would help....unless I am missing something.

#7 urgenthelp

urgenthelp

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 03:58 AM

Hardware:

Thanks

Connect your printer via usb cable and then http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-in-windows-7-with-homegroup/

follow that link it will help you. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users