Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop randomly restarting/rebooting

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 andoc

andoc

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:26 PM

Hi there,

My laptop is randomly restarting, sometimes once a day, sometimes multiple times in a row before it barely re-reaches windows startup screen.

I've tried updating windows, updating my graphics card drivers, checking the fan/vent for dust and scanning for viruses.

Would love some help as it's a difficult issue to pinpoint as there's no error messages that appear.

Please let me know if you need more information to help me, specs below:

-----------------------------------------
HP Envy 17
Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz
RAM:  12 gb
Windows 10 64 bit

AMD Radeon HD 6800M Series
Intel HD Graphics 3000

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 09:16 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Edited by dc3, 19 September 2016 - 09:17 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 andoc

andoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:38 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ILh7ptIDwVlovEzNcGDds2B

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:36 AM

Is the computer installing updates prior to the restart?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 andoc

andoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:56 PM

No, it doesn't do a full reboot... the screen goes black for a second and then a quick re-start to the windows sign-in page.  Whole process lasts about 10-15 secs and then the original pages I was working on are still present.

Interestingly, I did a full virus scan yesterday and installed malwarebytes and scanned with that also... Deleted some malware and a trojan I hadn't found previously.  Since then, it hasn't done it in the last 36 hours but I'll keep you posted.  Any ideas you have are of course welcome

Cheers

Edited by andoc, 20 September 2016 - 04:57 PM.

#6 andoc

andoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:39 PM

It's been two days with it not happening and now all of a sudden it's almost in a reboot loop right now.  I can barely type this message without it restarting 3 times.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Or direct me to the right forum??  Anyone??

#7 andoc

andoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:06 PM

Update:  I was in a horrendous boot loop for a while there with only 10 seconds or so time in windows before the restart.  I seem to have fixed it for now somehow....

Went into display settings and changed screen turn off from 15mins/20mins (batt/power) to 20mins/30mins and also closed all my open programs and did a proper restart.  Once it properly rebooted, it hasn't repeated the problem again  (for clarity, it's not a reboot that it does.... it turns the screen to black like you've gone to sleep mode when shutting the laptop closed ... the second I move the mouse it opens windows again)

Edited by andoc, 21 September 2016 - 03:07 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:17 AM

For testing purposes open the Control Panel, select Power Options.  

Select Choose what power button do.

Set the options to do nothing.

See if this stops the cycle.

#9 andoc

andoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 02:45 AM

Thanks dc3,

Been away for 2 days and wasn't using the laptop, hence the delay.  Turned on about 2 hours ago and it was straight into the restart loop.  I managed to get to this forum and saw your above reply.  Just changed the power options and it hasn't done it since although it's only been a short while.  I noticed the screen tried to black out a couple times momentarily but was only black for half a second (flashed off and on) and didn't restart.  I wonder if that's related to the changes you made me do?

Our of curiosity, with those changes made, I guess I'll need to Turn Off my laptop everytime I'm finished for the day now?  Anyway to rectify that?

Thanks for all you help, much appreciated

Edited by andoc, 25 September 2016 - 02:46 AM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 08:35 AM

I want to make sure I understand you correctly.  The computer actually does not shut down and then restart, the screen just goes black for a very shot time?

Have you ever dropped this computer?

Have you ever had a internal repair made to this computer?

I want you to try something, reset the power options back to the way they were set previously.  If you have a strong flashlight keep it at the computer, the next time the screen goes black shine the light in the screen and see if you can see the desktop.  If you can, then the problem could be related to the backlight.  Usually these will either work or not work with nothing in between.

One other thing you can try.  If you have an external monitor or can barrow one see if the monitor goes black too.

#11 andoc

andoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 09:14 PM

Hi dc3,

It restarts, but not a full reboot.  It's the equivalent of when you shut the lid and re-open (sleep mode), ie, screen goes black, 10 sec pause and then the windows sign-in button appears.  Once you sign back in all your pages/projects etc are still active.  It would happen randomly and repeatedly at various intervals, sometimes restarting before you'd even had a chance to sign back into windows.  It was never the same in length and sometimes I could re-open windows and it would just stop for a day or more.

As it stands it's been 24 hours with those power options changed and it hasn't happened yet.

Laptop has never been dropped to my knowledge.  I did have some repairs done as it had an overheating issue being a HP Envy 17 (read forums on this model - it's a disaster).  Not 100% sure what he did, but I do recall, he put thermal paste in there, cleaned vents etc, I think he may have installed more ram as well from memory.  Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Thanks, I will keep a torch next to the screen for if it happens again, however, I am aware of backlight issues with laptops as it happened to my gfs laptop recently and I don't think that is it.  It does feel more like a power supply or some kind of issue like that.... but I could be wrong :-)

I'll reset the power options and keep you posted. 

Thanks

#12 abdulquan

abdulquan

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:19 AM

andoc, its often happened after new update of window 10 i am also facing the same issue with me since a two month.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:11 PM

Because the issue doesn't seem to be occurring with the changed power settings I'm disinclined to suspect a problem with the power adapter.  But... if you have a multimeter you can check the output voltage.  The output voltage should be 19.5 Volts DC.

One other thing you could try would be to run sfc /scannow.

Please run sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To open the Command Prompt press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste in sfc /scannow, then press Enter.

This will take a while,  have patience and allow it finish.  Stopping this scan could damage files.  

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

Do the following to access the sfc /scannow log.

Open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below followed by pressing the Enter key.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled CBS.  Double click on this icon to open 
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

Edited by dc3, 26 September 2016 - 01:32 PM.

#14 andoc

andoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:41 PM

Hi dc3.  Here's the log from command prompt however every time I try and copy/paste the CBS.txt file from my desktop my computer freezes.  It is massive, so would that stop it from posting?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"
        1 file(s) copied.

#15 andoc

andoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:06 PM

Might have figured out how to upload it.  Let me know if this works:   (ps it's very long!)

https://www.scribd.com/document/325424866/Cbs?secret_password=RWGHASAHiyVA69e4zFU7

Edited by andoc, 26 September 2016 - 08:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users