Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to go back to Windows 8.1 from Windows 10?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 lilbonkers290

lilbonkers290

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 03:47 PM

Hi, I am just curious if there is a way to back to windows 8.1 from Windows 10

My laptop originally is Windows 8 and is past the month of going back to earlier build of Windows

If I do a factory reset, will it go back to Windows 10 or Windows 8? 

not too sure about Clean install..

I do have the option of going back to windows 7 backup and restore tool

Edited by lilbonkers290, 18 September 2016 - 04:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:11 PM

You need to do a clean installation of Windows 8.1 and block Windows 10 updates/upgrades. If You are not careful, will get again W10.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:53 PM

You need to do a clean installation of Windows 8.1 and block Windows 10 updates/upgrades. If You are not careful, will get again W10.

This is absolutely not true.  The period of free upgrade has ended and the only way you will go from an earlier version of Windows to Windows 10 at this point is by purchasing a license and actively installing it.

GWX (Get Windows Ten [X]) has disappeared from any machine that was running either Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 that I've dealt with recently, just as had been stated would occur by Microsoft when the free upgrade period ended at the end of July 2016.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 05:19 PM

This is absolutely not true.  The period of free upgrade has ended and the only way you will go from an earlier version of Windows to Windows 10 at this point is by purchasing a license and actively installing it.

GWX (Get Windows Ten [X]) has disappeared from any machine that was running either Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 that I've dealt with recently, just as had been stated would occur by Microsoft when the free upgrade period ended at the end of July 2016.

It is true, that Windows have said, that 29th of July is the last day, but someone updates every day, everything works as it worked before 29th of July. Even if You have activated with KMS or Daz loader, no matter, everything works.

And here is not an upgrade, but the fact that this computer was already upgraded, Windows 10 was already installed and activated. These are two completely different things.

Edited by kaljukass, 18 September 2016 - 05:25 PM.

#5 lilbonkers290

lilbonkers290
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:27 PM

Would it ask me for the product key for the windows 8.1?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:36 PM

Did the computer come pre-installed with Windows 8 or 8.1? If it's was purchased as a new OEM computer and was came pre-installed with Windows 8 or 8.1 the key is embedded in firmware and will auto-activate once online. 

You can verify your key by downloading Firmware Tables View. Under the MSDM table you will find your key. Use Produkey and see if the key matches what Firmware Tables View shows. You will see a difference because of the Windows 10 upgrade.

http://www.nextofwindows.com/firmwaretablesview-to-retrieve-windows-8-1-product-key-from-bios

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 September 2016 - 07:37 PM.

#7 lilbonkers290

lilbonkers290
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:08 PM

I originally bought it instore; it has the windows 8 sticker on the bottom of the computer

I did check for the key using cmd and powershell it gave me the same key; I think it is different from the windows 10 key

I did use the produkey earlier today; for windows 10 it gave me both product id and cd key

#8 lilbonkers290

lilbonkers290
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:16 PM

and checked with firmware tables same original key; I do have both written down

Would windows/ my laptop let me use the original key to go back to 8.1? I am worried that it might not let me 

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:08 AM

Yes. Using the Media Creation tool you could do a clean install and revert to Windows 8.1 or if possible the best option would be the factory reset option if you still have the Windows 8.1 factory recovery partition on the drive. What is the make and model of the computer? This would take you back to 8 and you would need to upgrade to 8.1 through the store but you would have all your drivers installed. Using the Media Creation Tool you would need to install additional drivers, most likely your Wifi and possibly Ethernet. Also any other drivers such as Hotkeys in not on the 8.1 install disk.

#10 lilbonkers290

lilbonkers290
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:17 AM

I did look at the HP media tool I believe in the left corner it said version 10 not sure if its just the software or the actual win 10 that I am running

My laptop is HP pavilion 17 notebook

I did look for the windows.old folder I assume it is automatically deleted since its past the 30 days(?) so going back to 8.1 from the laptop itself the option is not availible

My key automatically activated; digital license? (when I first bought the laptop two years ago it has been a while)

So if I decide to do windows 7 which is availible on my laptop to go back or Windows 8.1 which I need to download and make a usb bootable, I am not sure if it will let me reactivate again since doing this option will wipe everything if i am correct

The partition drive, for that one I am not sure if does have the 8.1 files on it?

For factory reset, I think it might take me back to windows 10 since I dont think have windows 8.1 stuff

Edited by lilbonkers290, 19 September 2016 - 07:20 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:26 AM

Windows 10 should not have altered the factory restore partition. It would be about 13GB. Check Disk Management. Tap F11 at boot to get your factory reset manager. You would need a Windows 7 license key if the computer came installed with Windows 8.1. You 8.1 install will auto activate once online. You should not have to enter the key in firmware but write it down in case the install asks for it should you decide not to do the factory reset.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03489643

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:46 AM

I did look at the HP media tool I believe in the left corner it said version 10 not sure if its just the software or the actual win 10 that I am running

My laptop is HP pavilion 17 notebook

I did look for the windows.old folder I assume it is automatically deleted since its past the 30 days(?) so going back to 8.1 from the laptop itself the option is not availible

My key automatically activated; digital license? (when I first bought the laptop two years ago it has been a while)

So if I decide to do windows 7 which is availible on my laptop to go back or Windows 8.1 which I need to download and make a usb bootable, I am not sure if it will let me reactivate again since doing this option will wipe everything if i am correct

The partition drive, for that one I am not sure if does have the 8.1 files on it?

For factory reset, I think it might take me back to windows 10 since I dont think have windows 8.1 stuff

You are absolutely correct, a factory reset would take you back to Windows 10. Just use a Windows 8.1 ISO and you can go directly back to Windows 8.1, or better yet just use one of your stored system images for Windows 8.1.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 09:08 AM

A reset will not take the OP back to Windows 10 if the Windows 8 factory reset partition is intact. I do not believe a Windows 10 upgrade touches it as it's a separate partition on the drive. This is using the F11 key tap at boot which accesses the partition, not by doing a reset from within Windows 10.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 September 2016 - 09:09 AM.

#14 lilbonkers290

lilbonkers290
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:20 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/626146/z-drive/

This is another thread that I made since I saw it show up a week ago or so, I can reupload the photos when I can

#15 lilbonkers290

lilbonkers290
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:34 AM

and for usb bootable(as a last resort), I have a kingston 8gb datatraveler, (brand new never opened) I have seen posts that its not bootable or not working?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users