Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck on downloading updates - new computer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,062 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:44 PM

Set-up new computer and restarted, and then tried Windows Update.  After more than an hour and half, downloading was stuck partway through.  Many update items were "waiting to be installed", and one item was "waiting to download".  I was tired of this endless waiting for more than an hour with no apparent progress, so turned the computer off.  What can I do?  What can I check?  How?

In case the info is useful, the stuck download is KB3185611.

Dell laptop, model  Inspiron 5552,  15.6 inch screen, intel pentium processor N3700---exactly which, forgot - need to look at it and check again; it's not turned on right now.  ( I'm I was on an alternate when wrote original message).

Edited by cafejose, 18 September 2016 - 09:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 eclark53

eclark53

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:54 PM

I do not have a solution for you, but I do not like anything that has the Dell Logo.  I have had insurmountable problems with everything I have ever purchased from them.  Good Luck!

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,062 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:29 PM

I do not have a solution for you, but I do not like anything that has the Dell Logo.  I have had insurmountable problems with everything I have ever purchased from them.  Good Luck!

Too late for that, eclark53.

One single counter-recommendation alone is not enough to stop most people, including me, from buying an item.  Further than that, the machine was on sale at a discount on top of a discount, and had essentially all of my target requirements, and at a   super low price.  

Now, I'm really hoping to know what to do about the stuck Windows Update on this new Windows 10 computer, of the Dell brand.

Edited by cafejose, 18 September 2016 - 08:30 PM.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:09 AM

Try going to the Microsoft Update Catalog site and download that update manually (make sure you select the right ''bitness' for your machine)

Restart the machine and then double click the installer, let it install and then reboot again when done.

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,062 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:41 AM

Try going to the Microsoft Update Catalog site and download that update manually (make sure you select the right ''bitness' for your machine)

Restart the machine and then double click the installer, let it install and then reboot again when done.

I started a fresh computer-use session tonight, and ran Windows Update (through Settings, Update & Security) again.  There were three items shown with error codes, but I decided to click the button for Check for Updates, and apparently most of the earlier listed items were installed (yesterday) and two items were Available.  Time taken to download and install was maybe 45 minutes, so I JUST needed to be patient.  Another item was found as Windows decided to check for more updates on its own.  How/Why, I have no idea.  After maybe 25 minutes, that one was installed, too.

A restart of the computer was required.  Done.  Windows 10 up-to-date.  

Thanks for the suggestion about MS Update Catalog and the Download Center.  I might have tried that next if update trouble continued.  

Maybe machine is slow and more so because of WiFi instead of direct wire line for internet.   Also, the machine was bought NEW, and was not updated for 474 days while waiting for a customer to purchase it.  Maybe that's why the updating took so long.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:47 AM

If it had been that long since any updates you probably had the Anniversary upgrade installed.  This does take a longer time than conventional updates.  This could explain the long installation time.  Please do the following.

Press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key at the same time to open the Run box. Copy and paste or type in winver, then press Enter.  This will show the version of Windows 10 you have running.

If the version is Version 1607 you have the anniversary version.

If the version is Version 1511 you have the November update version.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,062 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:14 PM

dc3,

I'll get to what you asked, but later, maybe tomorrow or so.  I am curious too.

opera,

The Microsoft Update Catalog and the Download Center are both useless.  I looked through both of them.  The update catalog is not ready or will not work through Internet Explorer - I was using Windows Vista machine hoping to find find available updates since July and August 2016 for the older Vista machine.  MAYBE the page would work on the new machine with Windows 10 and Edge browser - not sure, but currently not needed.    The download center was able to show a very long list of updates none more recent than May 2016, so this was also useless.

Obviously no supplier side help for the expected continued support for Vista up to April 2017.  Realistically, only support is for Window 10, which is why I have the new Window 10 computer.

#8 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,062 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:42 PM

If it had been that long since any updates you probably had the Anniversary upgrade installed.  This does take a longer time than conventional updates.  This could explain the long installation time.  Please do the following.

Press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key at the same time to open the Run box. Copy and paste or type in winver, then press Enter.  This will show the version of Windows 10 you have running.

If the version is Version 1607 you have the anniversary version.

If the version is Version 1511 you have the November update version.

The little dialog comes up and shows only Version 10.0, Build 10240.

It does not specifically show  version 1607 or 1511.

I am not sure which part of Windows 10 I have on the machine.

Right now, an icon is shown in the task-tray with the rollover caption, "Windows 10 Update Assistant".  I am not sure what to do with that or if I should do NOTHING now; like to leave it alone.

#9 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,062 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:26 AM

Updated to Anniversary build.  Whole process 3 and 1/4 hours from the beginning of Check For Updates to Windows telling me Windows 10 installed and all set up.  The update started through Settings, Update & Maintenance, Windows Update, and Check For Updates.  No need for the Windows 10 Update Assistant. 

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:46 AM

Did this resolve your problem?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,062 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 07:01 PM

Did this resolve your problem?

Yes.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:02 AM

Happy computing. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users