Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggested software to make backup image of hdd from bootable media?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 krs000a

krs000a

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:34 AM

Hello,

I would like to find a software that can be installed onto a bootable device (USB stick / CD / DVD) and I should be able to backup my entire harddrive to an image and also restore my harddrive from that image all from this bootable software. In other words, I shouldn't have to have the backup software installed on the harddrive at all while writing/reading the backup images.

I don't need anything that makes automatic backups on regular basis, I want to do them manually when I want to.

I was using Acronis before and while it worked fine on my main computer, my other computer wouldn't recognize the bootable CD, it just skipped over it.

Can you please recommend some other software that could do what I am looking for? It needs to function on Windows XP and Windows 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 11:28 AM

In order to get many PCs to attempt to boot from a bootable CD/DVD (before trying to boot from the hard drive), you must change a setting to that effect in the CMOS/BIOS Setup.

#3 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:17 PM

Clonezilla works well, despite it's rather antiquated looking 'text-based/arrow up-down' menu system....

Clonezilla is a small Linux based bootable setup.

Not flashy, not very intuitive, but free....

If you want easier things to use, I'd look at EaseUS TODO Backup or AOMEI Backupper (exact name of titles escapes me, but, each is easy to use, and allows creation of bootable media to recov er from.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users