Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow internet download speed on Windows 10 PC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AdrianDFYPPC

AdrianDFYPPC

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:57 AM

Hello Bleeping Computer,

This is my first post, so hopefully I'm in the right place to get some help. :)

After getting Virgin to give us a new router for the nth time, we now have quick broadband around the house. Yesterday I did a speedtest on my Macbook and recorded 210Mb/s, which for wifi is awesome.

However I also have a portable PC that runs Windows 10 and is a complete pig when it comes to download speeds. In testing it could only manage about 14Mb/s, and that was when it was hard-wired to the router!

It has plenty of spare memory and works fine as long as the internet isn't involved. I've run CCleaner and Malwarebytes scans, neither of which made any noticeable difference to download speed test results.

Now I know that 14Mb/s is lightning fast in some parts of the globe, but the actual user experience is just dead slow - typically it takes over 30 seconds for the browser to load (regardless of which browser I'm using), then opening new sites takes a further chunk of circulating arrow time.

I'm using Panda's free antivirus - I don't know if that's a good or bad thing - although the PC is really only used in client meetings (I work from home) to look at their websites and demonstrate stuff in Google Adwords and Analytics.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing the issue will be gratefully accepted. 

Thanks in anticipation!

Adrian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TranceWarp

TranceWarp

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:31 PM

Hello Adrian. Welcome to the forums.

This is likely due to the Windows 10 version of Windows Update and its default way of getting them. One of the new things that it does is do upload/download of updates a lot like BitTorrent with no limit on the transfer speeds. I have experienced myself upon upgrading from Windows 7. It is essentially maxing out your laptop's connection both ways to lighten the update load off of Windows Update servers (wouldn't be so bad if you could cap it).

Here's how I sped mine up after the Win10 upgrade:

1) If Cortana is in your taskbar, Type "Windows Update" in the text box, then click on "Windows Update settings". If not, left-click on the Start button and select "Settings" then on "Update and security".

2) Click on "Advanced options" and then on "Choose how updates are delivered".

3) Use the slider to turn off "Updates from more than one place". This will turn off the BitTorrent-like function of the update and just download updates from Microsoft servers.

Edited by TranceWarp, 18 September 2016 - 08:41 PM.

#3 AdrianDFYPPC

AdrianDFYPPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:14 AM

Hi TranceWarp,

Thanks very much for your post.

I thought that I was on to a winner when I spotted that my updates slider was turned on, but after turning it off and running another speedtest I still only got about 15Mbps.

It's definitely interesting what you say about 'upgrading' from Windows 7. My problem didn't exist on the old platform, and as everything works really well on Apple products, it looks like it's something to do with Windows 10.

Do you (or anybody else) have any other suggestions that I could try?

Many thanks,

Adrian

#4 kidd16

kidd16

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 27 November 2016 - 03:26 AM

Hello Adrian,  Thank you for your post on internet speed I have lately bothered with this problem. I am so glade that someone has some answers.

I am leaning computer software and find that not only hardware can affect you computer. Again thank you for your help  kid16

#5 StHeisenberg

StHeisenberg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:58 AM

I know how you feel my friend, because I asked this very question myself :)

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤ

The thing is with the new Windows 10, there are quite a lot of new features and changes which takes up more of your internet, which then results in your internet being slow.

There are a few simple tweaks you can make to fix your slow internet on Windows 10 and I’ll show you step-by-step on how you can do that within a few seconds.

This is for you, the full exclusive guide

10 S***-Easy Ways to Fix Slow Internet on Windows 10 (+Screenshots)

As promised here’s how you can fix your slow internet on your Windows 10 :)

If you need screenshots to help you guide through the process and do it in just a few seconds, grab your free full exclusive guide. :)

1. Close the Peer to Peer Update Process on Your Computer

I actually did this when I first got my laptop which came with Windows 10, and let me say it did have a great effect on my internet speed.

Step 1:  To start off, Click Start and then go ahead type Settings to open it.

Step 2:  Next select Update and Security

Step 3:  Now click on Advanced Options

Step 4:  You’re almost there! Click on Choose How Updates are Delivered.

Step 5:  Finally, go ahead and turn off the On button.

Now you no longer need to send your own precious internet for complete strangers around you.

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤ

2. Quit your background apps

There’s two parts to do this.

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤ

Find out which of your apps take up most of your Internet

Here’s how you can see which of your apps take up most of the internet and how to turn it off.

Step 1: Start off by right-clicking the Windows Taskbar. Open Task Manager. (You can also search on your computer or ask cortana on Windows 10)

Step 2: Once you’re in your Task Manager’s menu, click on the Performance tab.

Step 3: Now click on Open Resource Monitor from the bottom part of the window.

Step 4: Lastly, click on the Network tab and check for all your apps or services that have a high number of send and receive requests.

The way it works is, the higher the number, then it shows that these apps or services are taking a chunk of your internet bandwidth.

Quitting your Apps

Since now you have an idea or sort of which of the apps or services that takes up most of your internet, you can now get onto disabling them.

Here’s how you can do that in just two little steps.

Step 1: Click on Start and then select your Settings.

Step 2: Next click on Privacy, and then Background apps. Here’s where you can turn Off for the apps and services that feed off your internet.

3. Adjusting your Internet Bandwidth settings

Your Windows actually keeps away 20 percent of your Internet bandwidth just for its OS and other system-related ‘stuff’.

What does this mean?

Well, since you only have the remaining 80 percent for you to use, you can actually get back that 20 percent for you to use.

Here’s how you can do that in just six simple steps.

Step 1:  Go ahead and get the Run window up by clicking on Windows key+R key on your keyboard. (You can also search for it on your computer)

Step 2:  Type gpedit.msc in the search box and then press OK.

Step 3:  Alright! Now you will find that the Group Policy window will come up, so what you have to do here is just click on Computer Configuration

Step 4:  Next go to Administrative Templates, then Network, and lastly QoS Packet Scheduler. Once you’re here click on Limit reservable bandwidth

Step 5:  Now in the new window that comes up, all you have to do is just two things. First choose Enabled and then change the Bandwidth limit (%) to 100.

Step 6:  Make sure that you Apply these new changes that you just made and then click on OK.

That’s it! :)

Read more at Saint

Edited by StHeisenberg, 12 March 2017 - 03:59 AM.

#6 akshya9782

akshya9782

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:30 AM

After Installing latest Windows 10 creators update, I faced "Windows 10 slow Internet" problem. But I found few solutions that can help you to increase or get original download Speed. 

1. Disable Battery Saver Mode. (Because it reduce performance, And slow down internet speed)

2. Check Connected WiFi users. (Login into your Router Settings)

3. Disable Windows Delivery Optimization. (It allows to send system update to other users, using your Computer)

4. Disable Background Apps. (Go to settings)

5. Disable Large Send Offload. 

6. Uninstall all third-party proxy Apps.   

You can find more solution in this Article. Fix Windows 10 Slow Internet Problem.

PS - I know this thread is old, But still many users are facing this issue.

#7 riggsphx1

riggsphx1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:25 PM

hello folks, I had this situation and spent several days on countless forums trying everything under the sun to get this fixed. I know every body's situation is different so here's the context for mine in a nutshell. I pay for 300 mbps to my ISP and could not get more than 142 150 mbps on my Windows 10 PC. On my Windows 7 laptop I had no issues reaching 300 or pretty close. in my particular case the Windows 10 machine in question contained a hard drive that had been cloned and upgraded several times going back to windows XP. after desperately trying everything to avoid a clean wipe and starting new I gave in and it fixed my issue. I wish I just would've done that from the beginning would have saved me a whole lot of trouble. If after you try adjusting the reserved bandwidth, QOS adjustments, group policy editor change and you still don't have any success I recommend backing up your info and doing a clean wipe. It doesn't take very long and it'll save you a whole bunch of time and you will no longer feel cheated by your ISP and Microsoft. Or at least not as much.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users