Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Can I save the settings from an old Linksys AC1900 router to a new one

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ingeborgdot

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:24 PM

My friend seems to be having problems with his internet.  When the isp came to check it out they said his router had gone bad.  They couldn't get it going and blamed it on the router.  I went over there and got it to work but his internet seems really slow.  The isp is not a very good one so we both think it is on their side.  It is a Linksys AC1900 Wi-Fi Wireless Dual-Band+ Router  (EA6900).  Well, we have since ordered a new one to replace the other one, (which is only 2 months old) to see if it is really the router or not.  If it is, then the new router should do the trick and his internet will work fine again.  Then we will contact Linksys and get a replacement for the faulty one.  If the router is not the problem and it works fine that is not a problem either because my friend runs a business and can't afford to be without internet for even a short period of time so having a backup router is what he wants anyway.  They both just need to have the same settings on them.  He does have other things to help with the internet but those things are not good for long term. 

If anyone is familiar with the Linksys AC1900 and how you adjust the settings, is there a way to copy the settings from the old one and put the same settings to the new one so we don't have to go through the hassle of setting it all up? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,118 posts
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:26 PM

Would it not be possible to bypass the router completely and connect via ethernet to the isp modem? That should rule out the router or not. I had a WRT54GL that allowed me to save settings. I believe it was under Administration on the Web login page of the router.

According to the manual it does. See page 47 of the manual.

#3 Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 11:17 AM

All routers allow you to backup the configuration.

You would not use the backup settings of one router on another unless they were exactly the same model and rev version.

Doing otherwise could result in you bricking your router.

Usual first step in troubleshooting a router is to:

1. set back to factory and do a minimal setup to see if things work

2. look for updated firmware for the router and install it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users