Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Twitch.tv streaming / gaming issue (Due to low upload speed)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 until2009

until2009

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:22 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm really hoping someone here can give me a hand.  I've been tossed back and forth between twitch.tv support, my ISP and a few other forums that mainly discuss internet speeds.

Here is some basic information to get started.
PC: Lenovo Y510P Laptop
Modem: Hitron CGNM-2250-SHW
ISP: Shaw Communications (Broadband 250 Package)
Additional Information: My laptop is plugged directly into the back of my modem using a ethernet cord.

Problem: Extremely low upload speed despite one service (Ookla Speedtest) telling me that i'm getting what I pay for.  I'm having issues live streaming games on twitch.tv (video buffers for my viewers), having issues watching livestreams (buffers occasionally - guess this might be a common issue) and i'm also have some really bad ping in games like Path of Exile.

Here are some speed tests.
The first one is using Ookla (this one is partnered with my ISP so they use this to determine if i'm getting the speeds i'm paying for.. unfortunately this service says that everything is okay)

I've included both a speed test for here in Edmonton, Alberta
5640211783.png

And another test for the server that is closest to the twitch.tv server out in Seattle, WA.
5640215113.png

Ookla seems to look okay.  I should be able to stream with these speeds no problem.

Now after speaking with twitch support staff they advise that I use 2 other services to determine why when I try to live stream i'm buffering for my viewers.

This is the test done at testmy.net
AFHDxqMo5.png

This service tells me that i'm only getting 448Kbps.  Which is definitely much lower than either of the above tests.

And the last test is the most important one they mentioned that I try and run as this test determines which server I have the strongest connection to in order to live stream.

This above image is stating that I have 0 Quality.  Basically telling me that i'm unable to stream.

I had one of my friends who lives about 15 minutes away from me who is also using Shaw - but on a lower plan (Broadband 150) run all of these tests.  His Ookla came back fine, he scored a 8Mbps on testmy.net and then linked me this image to his Twitch Bandwidth test.

Now that i've explained everything, here are the steps i've already taken to try and rectify my issue.

1. Restarted Computer
2. Restarted Modem
3. Tested on Wireless
4. Tested using different ethernet cord
5. Contacted ISP
6. Ran Malware Bytes and Virus Scan
7. Tested Wifes Acer laptop
8. Booted up in safemode
9. Contacted ISP and got a replacement modem - from a Cisco to a Hitron.
10. Reformatted my computer
11. Downloaded the most up to date LAN drivers
12. Posted on this forum

After all of these steps i'm still left with no improvement.  My ISP can't do anything as they base is solely off of Ookla.

If anyone has any other suggestions - i'm all ears.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:20 AM

I think you need to escalate this with Shaw. They have to come out and check for bad connections. Of course ISPs are notorious for being very reluctant to do this despite being in the service business. I don't know if you have your TV with Shaw but your leverage is to switch to Bell. All it takes to cause this is one faulty connection and it could be anywhere even in the street. They really have no choice. They have to look at it.

#3 until2009

until2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 11:28 AM

I think you need to escalate this with Shaw. They have to come out and check for bad connections. Of course ISPs are notorious for being very reluctant to do this despite being in the service business. I don't know if you have your TV with Shaw but your leverage is to switch to Bell. All it takes to cause this is one faulty connection and it could be anywhere even in the street. They really have no choice. They have to look at it.

Thanks for the reply frankp316.

I will call back Shaw today and see if I can get a tech out here.

I really wish I had more options for internet where I am located.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users