Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring Windows Vista to a new drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SCO_Nix

SCO_Nix

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:10 PM

Kwe/Good evening,

I need some suggestions.  I generally live in the 'Nix world (Linux / Unix) and most of my involvement with Windows is making sure it's up to date and installing software for my wife.

The old beast in questions is Dell Studio 1710 laptop with a Pentium dual core 2 Ghz processor.
There is four Gb. of RAM and a 32-bit operating system.

It is running Windows Vista Home Premium.

I'm trying to replace the original (250 Gb.) drive with a newer 1 Tb. drive and have NOT found a way that will clone the original drive to the new one.  I have tried most open source solutions in both Linux and Windows worlds.  They always report an abnormal end to the cloning program, most insinuating that it is related to the source drive.

There is a secondary drive I installed (another 1 Tb.) that contains a 100 Mb. partition for Linux Mint 18 with the remainder of available space assigned to an NTFS drive that is shared by both systems.

I have the original Vista installation CDs I created, product ids for Vista and Office 2010, etc.

I'm hoping I can simply disconnect the two internal drives, connect the new one and do a fresh install of Vista and then update to the original.

Is there a way to migrate the users, software, drivers, etc. in one fell swoop?  With Linux, I can simply copy the drive but I'm not sure that will work without gumming up the new install.

Ke welalin/Thank you very much!

Edited by hamluis, 18 September 2016 - 09:10 AM.
Moved from System Building to Imaging/Backup, etc. - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:07 AM

When re-installing Windows, there's no general way to migrate software/drivers on new Windows install. Many software will work if you just copy Users folder but that way many registry entries will be missing.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:08 AM

You can use 3d-party software...to simply clone the old drive contents to the new drive.  Any number of programs facilitate such, the one I rely on is Macrium Reflect but I also use EaseUS Partition Master to clone hard drives or partitions.

Louis

Note:  If you are trying to clone a damaged hard drive...success will not necessarily come your way.

Edited by hamluis, 18 September 2016 - 09:09 AM.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:46 AM

With Macrium Reflect, just make an image of the drive, save to an external backup, then restore back on to the 1TB drive. I did this several times successfully. The only thing to remember: always restore from a smaller drive to a bigger (or same size) drive. Since you are restoring to a 1TB drive there should be no problem. After you restore and the 1TB is loading and running Vista successfully, then go into Disk Management in Control Panel and increase the size of the partition to 1TB. Or you can also use any of several free Linux distro partition manager utilities to do this. 

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 SCO_Nix

SCO_Nix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:27 PM

Ke welalin/Thank you very much for the replies.

Macrium, Clonezilla {Linux}, Easeus and a number of other packages have been tried, unsuccessfully.  Naturally, their error messages are as clear as hieroglyphics.   The one or two messages that were in English suggested a flaw with the source drive.

I have run the Vista error checking routine (which now only runs after a reboot) and no errors are reported.  The disk defragmentation utility runs at 0300 each morning, also without errors reported.

I have tried cloning the drive but perhaps doing an image might work.  I'll give that a shot next.

Nmultes/Later

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 03:13 PM

I have never tried the Macrium Reflect cloning feature....but have never failed with the full image backup. Just FYI....the first time that you use MR, it will prompt you to create a Emergency Restore CD. Be sure to do it, even if it takes another 20 minutes. It will even burn it for you, just have a blank CD in the optical drive. When you want to restore your image to your 1TB drive, set your BIOS boot order to CD=1st boot device, HDD=2nd boot device. Boot from the Restore CD and have your external drive connected. MR will find your external drive, then you point to the image and restore. That's it. 

I suggest that you prepare the backup drive first by removing any partitions (to slick the disk), then set a new partition for the full drive and format in NTFS. I have had MR at times get balky if it attempts to restore to a slicked disk. This way, the partition and formatting is already installed. If you have any questions post back.

Edited by ranchhand_, 18 September 2016 - 06:19 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:57 PM

Are you setup for dual booting between Linux and Windows Vista? If so, how do you do the dual boot (i.e. boot manager or use separate drives and select which boot drive from the BIOS boot options)?

I mainly as because if you are dual booting and using a boot manager, then just installing Vista new to the new drive might break your dual boot process.

And it is also possible that the dual booting (with a boot manager) might cause some issues with cloning software. I honestly doubt that is the case, but it may be possible that free cloning programs might not handle it.

I would suggest trying Acronis True Image (that is what I use for cloning), but I hesitate a little as it might encounter the same issue and it is a not a free option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users