Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Friends computer was infected, can somebody help confirm it is clean now?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Xian

Xian

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 05:06 PM

Hi. thanks in advance for the help!

My buddy asked me to cleanup his wife's computer and i have done my best. The original complaint was popups, and i am not seeing any now. But I am not confident that there is no lurking malware.

what i have done:

1. I used windows defender, updated it and scanned and let it remove "BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou"

2. I installed Zemana Antimalware and it found and removed several items ("Detected Objects       : 19")

...after removing these i rebooted and scanned again and received a clean scan. I uninstalled Zemana, ran windows updates, and updated flash.

Since then the laptop seems to be operating normally, but I know I am not very good at this, so i am seeking your help.

THANKS!

Xian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 05:31 PM

You did good!  Does the computer have up-to-date anti-virus and anti-malware shields on and data files?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Xian

Xian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 05:37 PM

For malware protection there is Windows Defender, not seeing any antivirus. Can you recommend good, free antivirus? And should i disable Windows Defender and install a 3rd party anti-malware, like Malware Bytes?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:52 PM

Windows Firewall is all the firewall you need.  Which Windows? 7? 8? 10?  If W7 -- MSE/Microsoft Security Essentials is quite adequate as an AV.  Malwarebytes AM [pay-for] is good!  SpywareBlaster [free version is enough, you only have to manually update maybe once a week] will safeguard the Host file for you.  W8 & W10 has Windows Defender, which is MSE-renamed; that WD along with MBAM [pay-for] will be quite adequate.  If the user plans on "doin' some surfin' in strange lands" -- then maybe a 3rd party AV might be better.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:55 PM

Emsisoft Anti-Malware [not free past 30 days] not only is a strong assertive anti-malware, it is also a strong assertive anti-virus.  If the user desires a 3rd party powerhouse, that pay-for certainly will do the job on two fronts!

Edited by RolandJS, 17 September 2016 - 08:36 PM.

#6 Xian

Xian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for the recommendations! i guess i did forget the os, it's windows 10. i will urge him to buy MBAM to supplement Windows Defender or look at the Emisoft product.

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users