Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router behind a Router but secure First devices

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rrrikin

rrrikin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:44 PM

Hello all,

I do not know lot about networking but learning slowly so this might be a stupid question but here is my dilemma. 

I have a router 1, set to LAN IP 192.168.1.1 and it has DHCP for LAN to 192.168.1.xx
I have another router that is behind Router 1 which's Internet IP is 192.168.1.31, Gateway is 192.168.1.1 to get to the internet. 2nd router also have devices so the LAN IP is 10.0.0.xx

I want the 2nd router and its devices to isolate from having access to 192.168.1.xx., how can I do that?

With this setup this is what i observe, If my ip is 10.0.0.10 then i have access to 10.0.0.x and ALSO 192.168.1.x. But if i am 192.168.1.15 then i only have access to 192.168.1.x and not to 10.0.0.x which is ok and i understand that router 2's firewall is blocking it. 

However, my main concern is how to block the traffic of router 2 from seeing any device of router 1 (192.168.1.x)

Attached is the screen capture of the setup

Possible solution is to setup setup some forward rule? or restrict Router to different subnet and how?

Any help will be appreciated, Thank you

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 11:13 AM

One option is if your switch is a managed one.  You can do a vlan for that router connection to the internet router

" i understand that router 2's firewall is blocking it."

not usually the case.  There are two reasons; 1: no route to the 2nd routers wan interface, 2: only one gateway and its not the wan ip of the 2nd router

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users