Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't turn on anymore

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shirynak

Shirynak

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:35 PM

Dear techs,

I have an big issue. Yesterday night I decided to download another Suits episode torrent from TPB on my new laptop. . The torrent had alot of seeders and so I thought it was safe. After installing the torrent and trying to play the file with VLC it gave me some error (which is very unusual) so I decided to open the ReadMe file which was also downloaded. The readme file was telling me to open the file with Windows media player and that Windows media player will download an automatic codec which was missing apparently. So stupid me decided to go for it and downloaded the divx codec. After that everything went really bad. Before I knew my whole laptop was infected. Automatically opening apps. No internet acces. So I decided to download an anti-malware program to my usb from other pc and afterwards run it on my laptop. After the program was scanning for like 20 min. my laptop shut down.. and till now I can't power it on. When I press the power button. The laptop goes on for 1 sec and it goes back off. then pressing it again will turn it on for 4-5 sec without showing anything on screen or making noise and it goes back off. The only way I can get something on my screen is by pressing Power button + D. Doing that gives me some color show. After the show it goes back off. Help me, I'm not really experienced with malware and I know it was not smart to download torrents at the end.. 

Some info:

The virus I got was this one: http://www.myce.com/news/10-year-old-design-flaw-windows-media-player-still-abused-malware-distribution-80386/ and on the second screen you can see "Download now".. Well stupid me pressed on that..

Laptop I've: Latitude E7250 i7 processor with 16gb ram and 500 gb hdd. 

What I've already tried:

1.Getting the battery out, getting power cable out. Holding power button for 60 sec. turning power cable back in. pressing power button: result nothing.

2. holding Fn + power button: result nothing.

3. holding mute button + power button: result nothing.

4. holding mute buttong + Fn button + power button: result nothing.

5 holding windows logo + B + power button: result nothing.

6 getting hdd out: result nothing.

7 getting ram also out : result nothing.

It somehow won't let me  get into the bios to have a clean install. 

The only thing I haven't done yet is getting the CMOS battery out  : 

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN302948/en

However doing this will get me losing the warranty which is until 30 january 2019. I don't know if I should risk doing it because it's alot of work and putting everything back together will be tough..

Feel free to ask questions. My english isn't that good unfortunately, but I'll do my best to understand you. 

Edited by Shirynak, 17 September 2016 - 04:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cybercynic

cybercynic

• Members
  • 560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:51 PM

Why are you posting this in the Ransomware Forum?

You should probably start here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

We are drowning in information - and starving for wisdom.

#3 Shirynak

Shirynak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:53 PM

Why are you posting this in the Ransomware Forum?

You should probably start here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Oh I though this was also for tech support.. sorry my bad can someone move it to there or can I move it easily myself?

#4 cybercynic

cybercynic

• Members
  • 560 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 05:01 PM

Quietman 7 (global moderator) will probably be along shortly - he will tell you what to do.

The title of this forum is a little misleading.

Edit: I would just go over to the forum I suggested and start a new topic there with all of the info you posted here. 

The forums get pretty quiet on Saturday night, so I don't know how much response you will get immediately.

Edited by cybercynic, 17 September 2016 - 05:11 PM.

#5 Shirynak

Shirynak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 05:23 PM

Quietman 7 (global moderator) will probably be along shortly - he will tell you what to do.

The title of this forum is a little misleading.

Edit: I would just go over to the forum I suggested and start a new topic there with all of the info you posted here. 

The forums get pretty quiet on Saturday night, so I don't know how much response you will get immediately.

what title do you suggest?

#6 cybercynic

cybercynic

• Members
  • 560 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 05:26 PM

How about "Virus in codec download?'

That should do for a start - Good Luck!!

Make sure you post all of the info that you posted here.

#7 cybercynic

cybercynic

• Members
  • 560 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:29 PM

@Shirynak is now posting in the "Am I Infected?' Forum

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:35 AM

Your new topic is posted here. Please be patient as you wait for a reply. To avoid confusion, this topic is closed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users