Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disposing of Your Pc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:00 PM

There was recently a TV programme over here in the UK called 'Real Story' that showed just how easy your personal details can be grabbed hold of once you dispose of a PC. I know most reading this will be aware of the safest thing to do when you no longer want your old PC. But this programme was a very interesting watch.

Heres a link to the BBC Real Story site.You might want to take a look at the links just to the right also,pretty interesting.

BBC - Real Story

Edited by graveangel, 19 August 2006 - 07:06 PM.

....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:30 PM

i heard the best way to make sure noone gets that info is to just smash the harddrive, becuase you can still retrieve some files even after they are erased from the harddrive with a program, is this true?
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#3 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:48 PM

I watched the same program graveangel,
Thanks for the link. :thumbsup:

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:10 PM

I have pasted in a link to a page from the university about different methods of obliterating data from hard-drives. They provide examples of what to do and which method is best in what kind of situation.

Secure Data Removal

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 graveangel

graveangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:07 PM

i heard the best way to make sure noone gets that info is to just smash the harddrive

Yep, thats exactly what i mean Ussr1943. If the PC is for the local garbage site and you are not wanting the hard-drive, i tend to break them up. There are places you can goto that wipe over your hard-drive upto 1000 times in order to erase your info on them, but you may only need to do that if you are selling your PC on. If you no longer need it at all and its not for sale, i'd destroy the hard-drive. :thumbsup:

D-Trojanator - No problem friend, seeing as you saw the same programme, im sure you agree it was pretty scary stuff. :flowers:

Orange Blossom - Thanks for the link, im sure many will find it usefull if selling on there computers :trumpet:

Edited by graveangel, 21 August 2006 - 06:10 PM.

....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#6 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:55 AM

just microwave the hard drive for a few seconds, not smash it, because people can still retrive info from that. or just keep the hard drive. thats what i would do.

#7 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:48 PM

the only people I know that can take a smashed Hard drive and get any info from it all have a upper level governmental association (can you say "No Such Agency" :thumbsup: ),or possibly a Hdd Manufacturer, as it involves electron micrography (using a electron microscope to "read" data on the disk) very tedious ,time comsuming, and really expensive . the DBaN method is quite sufficient for most. if you've never done it before ,it takes a pretty good bit of time ,depending on the size of the drive, to run a 7 pass wipe (took about 3 hrs to do my 8gig drive) so if you have a "huge" drive it could take a day(s) to finish I would think. the (a) OS will have to be reinstalled afterwards if it is to be reused.
another link to futher expand on Orange Blossom's
"Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory"
http://www.usenix.org/publications/library...papers/gutmann/
I always liked eraser ,used it most of the time instead of sending anything to the trash. a Paranoids best friend :flowers:

Edited by no one, 10 October 2006 - 03:07 PM.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users