Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 hangs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tretion

tretion

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:16 PM

Hello, I am having an issue with my computer. It is a Macbook Pro from 2011 running Windows 7 64bit with Bootcamp. After 2-4 days of running, the computer will start having issues. Webpages will not load as if my network adapter is having issues. I can open the start menu  but nothing will open if I try to run it, not command prompt or control panel or anything. I can't even shut down without hitting the power button for a hard reset. Sometimes it will give me an error that just says "Microsoft Windows The application is not responding". In the administrative logs, I've noticed that before this happens, Vbox, a program tied to Bluestacks, a program I've long since deleted, starts returning errors, which leads to processor errors. The computer continues to act like this until I hard rest. Then the computer operates normally for 2-4 days and it starts acting up again. Today, after rebooting I also got the following message.

"End Snap-In

The snap-in is not responding.

To return to MMC and check the status of the snap-in, click Cancel.

If you choose to end the snap-in immediately, you will lose any unsaved data. To end the snap-in now, click End Now."

I've attempted to attach the administrative logs, but I am told I'm not allowed to upload xml files. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:15 AM

.XML files aren't allowed to be uploaded.

ZIP them up - .ZIP files are allowed

Alternatively, upload them to a free file-hosting service and post a link to them here.

Wait until it acts up, then recover and immediately generate these 2 sets of reports:

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

Edited by usasma, 19 September 2016 - 06:16 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 tretion

tretion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:54 AM

Thank you very much. I have had Speedfan running for some time and have turned on logging but it appears it did not make any logs. I could not find them in Program Files (x86)/Speedfan. I've attached all the other logs with my post. 

Attached File  Admin.zip   281.19KB   1 downloads

Attached File  perfmon.zip   162.34KB   1 downloads

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   1.32MB   1 downloads

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:02 AM

With BootCamp you must be sure that you have ALL available Windows Updates

And all available Apple Updates (through Apple Software Update).

If dual booting to BootCamp and to OS X, then you also have to have all available updates in OS X

The biggest problem in the Admin logfile is the firmware for the CPU (this'll be a BIOS/UEFI update)

Beyond that, there are some networking issues - but they don't seem to be a constant problem.

To be sure, update the drivers for all networking devices (wired, wireless, and bluetooth).

Bluetooth has problems in the perfmon report.
Please be sure to uninstall the bluetooth software/drivers - then install a fresh copy of the latest available bluetooth drivers.

Perfmon also shows excessive system paging - which can show up as the system hanging.

Please be sure to keep the number of running processes to a minimum.

To test, see if the system hangs in Safe Mode.  If not, then the problem is most likely a 3rd party program.

To troubleshoot this, use a clean boot to narrow down the problems:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows

Re-enable things a few at a time until you can narrow down what the problem is.

Only 18 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most systems with SP1 have 350-400 or more.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

The MSINFO32 report is not readable.  Please do this:

MSINFO32:
Please go to Start and type in "msinfo32.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Save the report as an .nfo file, then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Also, save a copy as a .txt file and include it also (it's much more difficult to read, but we have greater success in getting the info from it).

If you're having difficulties with the format, please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "msinfo32 /nfo %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\TEST.NFO" (without the quotes) and press Enter.  Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the TEST.NFO file.  If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back.  Then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 tretion

tretion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:30 AM

Thank you very much. I will update Windows when I have the time to. Thank you so much for your help so far. I've attached the files below.

Attached File  msinfo1.zip   252.6KB   2 downloads

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:10 AM

The MSINFO32.nfo file won't open for me.

I looked through the .txt file and didn't find anything significant - but was unable to effectively scan the WER section for repeated errors as it's not sortable in the text file.

#7 tretion

tretion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:54 AM

Is there anything I can do to fix that? Would the file need to be reuploaded?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:17 AM

Nothing that I can think of.

It's not absolutely essential, but I do sometimes find repeated events.

Try opening up the MSINFO32 file and find the Windows Error Reporting section (it's the very last one)

When you open it, expand the Details column so you can see all of the info in it - then left click once on the word "Details" - which will sort that column for you.

Then look for repeating events.

This'll give a lot of stuff - some of which I ignore.

But, you can post screen shots of the stuff that you're unsure of - that way you don't have to write everything down.

As for the Windows Update errors - check the dates of any Windows Update errors (if they're older, then they're usually not a problem), and check to make sure they weren't happening when you weren't connected to the internet (as they'll show as errors if you're not connected).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users