Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hibernate, sleep, etc problems with anniversary upgrade

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 roscoep54

roscoep54

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 12:45 PM

Since I upgraded to the anniversary Win10, the only way to start my computer is the hold the power button until it (looks llike it) shuts down and restart it.  Then it shows as Windows resuming.  I've tried everything!   Not sure if its an issue with Dell but it didnt happen until after the upgrade.  Any help would be most appreciated! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:21 PM

I'm not sure what is the issue you are seeking assistant for is the computer wont shutdown if you don't use the power button or is the computer not starting?

Posted Image

#3 roscoep54

roscoep54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 03:03 PM

Sorry, guess I wasnt clear - when I'm away from the computer and come back to it - it should be be in sleep and just "wake up" if I move the mouse.  It does not.  The backlight on the keyboard is on.  I have hold the power button down until the keyboard lights turn off, then hit the power button again to get it to resume.  Its driving me nuts.  My only option is to leave it on all the time.  It does the same thing when I put it in hibernate or sleep.  

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 03:12 PM

Open Device Manager by holding down the Windows-key + R and enter devmgmt.msc and click OK button. In the Device Manager, expand Mouse and other pointing devices, right-click your mouse and select “Properties”. Then simply switch to the “Power Management” tab and make sure place a check mark for the  “Allow this device to wake the computer” check box.

Posted Image

#5 roscoep54

roscoep54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:08 PM

There does not seem to be a tab that controls Power Managment.  

The tabs in both mice Properties box are General, Driver, Details, Events - cannot find anything that has a checkbox  " Allow this device to wake up computer".  

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:23 AM

Expand Keyboards  from Device Manager right-click your keyboard and every other listed devices under Keyboards  and select “Properties”. Then simply switch to the “Power Management” tab and make sure place a check mark for the  “Allow this device to wake the computer” check box. After making the changes see if keyboard can wake the computer.

Posted Image

#7 roscoep54

roscoep54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:04 AM

Ok, there is no Power Management tab under the keyboard device.  I looked at all the devices and there a Power Management tab under:  

Bluetooth - Intel Wireless

Networks Adapters - Intel Wireless,  and Realtek PCIe Family Controller

System Devices - Intel Management Engine Interface

Universal Serial Bus Controllers - Generic USB Hub, USB Root Hub and  USB Root Hub (xHCI)

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:25 PM

Check devices listed at Device Manager -> Human Interface Devices.

Install latest versions of chipset, USB controller, keyboard, graphic card and mouse drivers, you can found the drivers from device manufacturer or your computer manufacturer website.

I would have you run the power troubleshooter.

a)       Click on “Start Menu” and type troubleshooting  and then select Find and Fix Problems.

B)       Click on “View all”.

c)       Run the “Power” troubleshooter.

Posted Image

#9 roscoep54

roscoep54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:26 AM

I went through the entire Device Manager and made sure that every device has the updated software. Only device that wasnt updated was graphics - installed update. Ran Troubleshooter for Power.  Ran system check from Dell.  Ran System Check from Iolo (which Dell recommends).   Still having the issue.  Not sure at this stage where to go.  

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:03 AM

Are saying you still cannot found Power Management tab?

How you installed latest device driver from your computer or device manufacturers website.

In Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 simply hold down the Windows-key + X and select the option “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu. In the following prompt, enter the line. Type below command.

Powercfg   /devicequery  wake_armed | Clip 

Above command will list all devices that can wake up your computer this list will be copied to clipboard. At your next post right click empty space and select Paste and post the command results.

Posted Image

#11 roscoep54

roscoep54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for being patient with me :)

I updated the Chipset, serial ATA, and Bios from the Dell/Intel website.  I believe all the drivers are now up to date.  

NONE
is the result of the Powercfg command. 

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:12 PM

You have enter above command without | Clip command and it displayed NONE is this correct?

You can configure power switch to wake and place your computer into sleep state from Start Menu --> Control Panel ---> Power Options --> Choose what the power button do"  from "When i press the power button" select Sleep  for On Battery and Plugged in.

Posted Image

#13 roscoep54

roscoep54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:10 PM

NONE came up when I ran the | clip command.  

Yes, I had already set the power options - I did that first when the issue first started.  

Now, I think sleep is working.  However, hibernate does not respond without powering off and back on.  I think I'm not going to worry about it.   It would be nice if the mouse worked like it used to - but at least the power button responds now.

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 05:28 AM

Its strange how non of the devices cannot wake up your computer how non of them have “Power Management” tab have you try powering on your computer by pressing power switch while its hibernation mode don't press down power switch just single short press should wake your computer up.

Posted Image

#15 roscoep54

roscoep54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 11:20 AM

OK, I think we're getting somewhere  - now that I've updated all the drivers, I now have some devices that have a Power Management tab

Bluetooth - Intel Wireless Bluetooth

Human Interface devices -Airplane mode switch   and three USB Input Devices  

Network Adapters - Intel Wireless and Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller 

Universal Serial Bus controllers - Generic USB Hub, USB Root Hub and USB Root Hub (xHCI)

All three USB Input devices have the "allow this device to wakeup computer" greyed out.  The Network adapters - both the Intel Wireless and the Realtek device have two options under the power management tab - "Allow this device to turn off this device to save power" and "allow this device to wake up the computer".  Neither have the box checked that allow it to wake up the computer.  If I allowed one of these devices to wake up the computer, perhaps the USB ports would work?  Hate to make changes without your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users