Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Rkill and AudioSwitcher.exe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ohnowatdoihave

ohnowatdoihave

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 12:05 PM

Hi, recently Windows Update froze (Win 7), and I ran Rkill.exe... It stopped AudioSwitcher.exe:

* C:\Misc\AudioSwitcher.exe (PID: 6520) [UP-HEUR]

After that, Windows Update worked fine. Anyway, I downloaded a new version of AudioSwitcher from the
guy's website, and rkill still kills it... 

I really like AudioSwitcher, but should I stop using it?

Thanks,

O

p.s. Neither Malwarebytes Anti-Malware nor Kaspersky Anti-Virus think it's infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:05 PM

RKill is a specialized tool created by Grinler (aka Lawrence Abrams), the site owner of BleepingComputer primarily designed to terminate suspicious processes (not specific malware) and reset various registry configuration settings that prevent anti-malware and anti-virus tools from running. In addition to terminating common malicious processes, RKill (by design) always terminates Explorer whether you are clean or not and files running from certain locations.
  • Executable files running from a user profile or from any Temporary Internet file.
  • Executable files running from the Windows folder (%WinDir%) without a digital signature.
In your case, AudioSwitcher.exe is running from C:\Misc which is not a normal location for an application to be running from.

Another possibility is that you downloaded AudioSwitcher.exe from a place other than the official site. If that was the case, get a second opinion...submit it to one of the online services that analyzes suspicious files.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 ohnowatdoihave

ohnowatdoihave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:24 AM

Hi, thanks for the info. I was thinking myself that I'll send the file to KAV.

Clearly something weird was going on since something was blocking Win update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users