Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

feedback on buying a Dell laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nora10514

Nora10514

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 10:43 AM

Hi, since I have been having issues with wifi on Windows 10 (see my posts on this)  I have been considering buying another laptop as a backup since I need 24x7 availablility.  Someone mentioned the Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series.  Does anyone have any experience with this.  Is this a good purchase?  I am looking for a light weight laptop - very portable, with good service available locally.  I may be running a small business on it besides email and internet - I do not use the computer for watching video unless short.  Any comments, suggestions, etc?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 11:36 AM

I bought a Dell Inspiron 15 5559 back 9 months ago and love it.  There is a new setting in Windows 10 that can cause intermittent WiFi disconnects, but you can change it easily to resolve that.  It's in Power Settings'  Advanced Power Settings.  You change the WiFi setting to "Maximum Power" and that fixed the problem on my laptop.

My laptop came with Windows 10 Home version which is fine for me.  If you're going to use it for business, you might want to consider the more expensive Professional version.

Good luck.

Edited by Niweg, 17 September 2016 - 11:39 AM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 12:48 PM

There is a section here at Bleeping Computer specifically for this kind of question;

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/171/questions-and-advice-for-buying-a-new-computer/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Nora10514

Nora10514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:57 PM

Hi about that power setting:  Here is what I see on my Windows 10 in power options.  Please tell me if I am set right-

1- there are 2 radio buttons - only the 'energy saver' button is set.  the 'power saver' is not selected - should it be?

2-. Under the advanced settings for wireless adapter under 'energy saver' - 'Maximum power saver' is set

is this right?  If not, how do I change it?

3. Under wireless adapter for power saver (power saver radio button is not selected) again the 'maximum power saver' is on.   

Is this the right setting - Do I need to change this?

#5 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 02:05 PM

I have recently purchased the Dell Inspiration 15 5000 from Costco. OS is Windows  10, the laptop is light weight. At this point, I have not experienced any problems and I'm very happy!

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:39 PM

Hi about that power setting:  Here is what I see on my Windows 10 in power options.  Please tell me if I am set right-

1- there are 2 radio buttons - only the 'energy saver' button is set.  the 'power saver' is not selected - should it be?

2-. Under the advanced settings for wireless adapter under 'energy saver' - 'Maximum power saver' is set

is this right?  If not, how do I change it?

3. Under wireless adapter for power saver (power saver radio button is not selected) again the 'maximum power saver' is on.   

Is this the right setting - Do I need to change this?

The setting I referred to is here:  Power Options -> Change Plan Settings -> Advanced power settings -> Wireless Adapter settings -> Power saving mode.  There you want "Maximum Performance".

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#7 Nora10514

Nora10514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:51 PM

I made the change.  we'll see what happens.   thanks.

#8 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 19 September 2016 - 04:12 PM

Too soon to know.  Inspiron 5552, only two days old now.  No trouble with wi-fi internet.  The computer  (laptop) is a little slow.  Almost no fancy software came included but not really a problem.  Setup jumped into "Express Setup" on its own while I really wanted to choose Custom Setup.  LESS THAN $300 PURCHASE.  The machine was manufactured some time early in 2015, so this may be a reason why the price was so low.  Windows 10 Updates took more than hour and a half.  Earplug and Microphone combination plug only, but no separate plug for just earphone and for microphone, so inconvenient for some people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users