Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control Panel and Explorer horribly broken.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenLettuce

FrozenLettuce

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 10:39 AM

Hi, first of all, thank you for taking the time to read my post  :)  Now I consider myself very tech savvy, but I cannot figure this problem out for the life of me. My friend is running Win7 Starter, and his control panel no longer works. If he tries running it (Be it from start menu, cmd, explorer.exe etc..) It gives him this message: This file does not have a program associated with it to perform this action. Install a program or, in case an installed program already exists, create an association in Control Panel's Default Programs. Yeah. Control Panel doesn't work. Use Control Panel to fix it. The title bar reads ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0 . Once he clicks 'Ok' Another message box appears with the same body message, this time the title bar reads just 'Explorer.EXE'. Now for the explorer problems, 

let's say he was in the C:\ Directory in explorer, and he wanted to go to 'C:\Windows' Normally, you would just click on the folder named 'Windows' When he tries to click on a folder, another message box appears, same body, and the title bar says where the folder is located (i.e C:\Windows). 

I've tried multiple solutions, running sfc /scannow, running for  %a  in (c:\Windows\System32\*.dll)  do  regsvr32.exe  /s  "%a", checked his registry keys, even used windows repair all in one (not with all options enabled though). 

Any help?

​(Note: Doing this for a friend who lives in a different country, so things might not be 100% accurate translations)

Edited by FrozenLettuce, 17 September 2016 - 10:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 12:03 PM

If the problem is recent do you have a restore point just before the problem occured? 

If a System Restore is not possible try the registry fixes for the exe, bat, cpl, and lnk file associations.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19449-default-file-type-associations-restore.html

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 12:46 PM

Windows Repair (All in One) can also re-associate file extensions; however, if the explorer.exe is "broken enough," it might take a more drastic solution set.  FrozenLettuce, do you know if your friend has been making OS and Data partition, or whole hard-drive, full images onto trusted media?  At worst, a Windows reinstall may be needed if a better solution is not found.

Edited by hamluis, 17 September 2016 - 03:37 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 FrozenLettuce

FrozenLettuce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 03:28 PM

Oh, definitely not, I'm still waiting for him to get back from doing some stuff, then Ill try re-associating the file extensions with the registry fixes. 

Edit: The re-registration with the keys didn't work, same message.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Edited by FrozenLettuce, 18 September 2016 - 11:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users