Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel bugging on Mac - Tech recommended an OS upgrade to El Capitan

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NinjaNikkie

NinjaNikkie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:49 AM

Dear all,

I have a question regarding the repair of Excel on Mac. I am an assistant in a company and I do some very very basic software work, amongst other things. My boss often deals with very large files (financial management, so lots of portfolio data, etc.) and recently he has been experiencing issues with Excel. It will shut down upon scrolling, tell him files are corrupted that had worked fine previously, all in all very annoying when it happens multiple times a day. Luckily we have multiple data backups, and so far nothing big has gone missing, but it is certainly tedious.

We have another company that functions as our tech support, and they recommended just updating all computers to the latest MAC OS x El Capitan, but to avoid Sierra when it becomes available. I had been planning on doing this anyways in the next few weeks, but any other things I should try? We haven't experienced issues on any other machine, and they all run on the same system.  I already removed all preference settings in a hope that it might stop Excel from doing things it shouldn't, but that didn't help at all. Another thing I considered was a re-installation. All files are stored on an external server, which has plenty of storage. Cache and local storage are kept to the minimum as well. 

What would you recommend? Thanks in advance!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 10:01 AM

First, I would agree to hold off on Sierra for now. Personally, I tend to let other people be Apple's "test dummies" for new versions of the macOS, especially since Apple's quality control is not what it used to be. If after a few months you want to switch, then that is the time to do it.

As to the problem at hand, the first step I would likely take is to uninstall and then reinstall Excel (or the entire Office suite). Just to be sure I understand, when you say "all files are stored on an external server", you mean the user data files, not the Excel program itself, correct?

If that does not help, then I suppose it would not hurt to try upgrading to El Capitan, but I doubt that will change anything. If re-installing Excel does not help, then I would tend to potentially suspect something hardware related (i.e. maybe running out of RAM). What is the model and specs of the Mac?

Of course, something else installed might be corrupted, so you could consider wiping the hard drive, re-installing the current version of the macOS, and then re-installing the programs. Before you go to that extreme, you could cut to the middle...do a clone of the current setup, wipe the drive, re-install the current version of the macOS, and then use Migration Assistant to pull in all the installed programs (and any local data files). The second option will take less time, but it does not work, then going the route of the first option of a complete re-install of everything might be worth a try.

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:31 AM

Expanding on the fact that the files are stored on an external server -- are you navigating to that server and opening them from there? Or are you working from a local copy and then syncing that copy back to the server?

If you are working directly from a copy on the server, does anyone else have these issues when working on Excel files from another computer?

Also, what kind of server is it? Windows? Mac?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users