Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB 3.0 Seagate SATA Hard drive not recognized Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ToddBrad

ToddBrad

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:38 AM

I recently purchased a Seagate Momentus 5400.6 hard drive and a Sabrent USB 3.0 SATA Hard Drive flat docking station to connect via usb to my Dell XPS L702x laptop. Upon putting the hard drive in the external enclosure and connecting to my laptop via usb my computer is not recognizing this external hard drive in disk management. I can see it in device manager and it is listed as "Jmicron SCSI Disk Device". I can also see it in devices and printer listed as "Jmicron". However it is not recognized or listed in disk management and file explorer. I am a novice when it comes to hardware issues as I am more of a software guy but I have tried everything I can find on the net to no avail. ie uninstalling and installing the drivers, using seagate utilities (I cannot also see it in Seagates applications), disabling fast startup, windows devices and printers troubleshooting, etc. I suspect (maybe incorrectly) that this device is showing up as "Jmicron SCSI disk device" instead of a SATA drive but that is coming from someone who again does not know alot about the device/hardware side. I would like to make this external drive a full backup for my windows 10 laptop and any assistance that could be provided would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for any help you may be!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 10:16 AM

Has the drive been formatted?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 10:53 AM

I've just experienced this same problem I've seen others are posting re USB3 external hard drives.  It happens with drives formatted GPT on USB3 ports.  I'm running Windows 10 1607 build 14393.187 (Anniversary Update).
 I have two external hard drives, both USB3, one is 3 TB formatted GPT, the other 2 TB formatted MBR.  The 2 TB drive works with both my USB3 port and my USB2 ports, but the 3 TB one only works with the USB2 ports.  My Windows 7 Pro system doesn't have this problem.

I should add that I have a 64 GB USB3 flash drive that when plugged into the USB3 port, is immediately recognized, assigned a drive letter, and works just fine, just like with the 2 TB external drive.

I've reported this problem via Feedback, and created a post on the MS Windows 10 forum.  So far all I've gotten is a canned answer from one of the people in India telling me what to do about a corrupt USB driver.  However the driver is obviously NOT corrupt or the USB3 port wouldn't recognize the 2 other devices.

FWIW I'm running 64 bit Windows 10 Home Anniversary Update on a 9 month old Dell Inspiron 5559 with an I5-6200U CPU, 8 GB DDR3L RAM, and a 1 TB 5400 RPM Seagate hard drive.  It came loaded with Windows 10 that's been upgraded to AU with all the latest Windows Updates. 

I have to editorialize that as the old song said that if this is not a Windows bug, grits ain't groceries, eggs ain't poultry, and Mona Lisa was a man!  :whistle:  

Edited by Niweg, 17 September 2016 - 10:55 AM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 ToddBrad

ToddBrad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for the replies.

dc3 - No I do not believe the drive has been formatted. I just bought it new off of eBay. It arrived as a new sealed drive and not used and/or re-furbished. Now I believe the drive has been initalized but I have not personally formatted it. I can't see it or access it to format it. 

Niweg - Thank you for this information as it is very helpful. I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. I haven't paid someone to work on my machines in a lifetime and I was just about to break down and start looking up a local guy here that specializes in this stuff. Sounds like that would not even be a solution to this issue and a-lot of wasted $$$$..... Like I said I am more of a software guy and not as informed when it come to this kind of stuff. I am running the latest (or latest released) version of windows 10. I don't know if it was a smart thing to do or not but I decided to participate in their Windows 10 insider program so I get releases on a pretty regular basis. Basically did it because I was getting a freebie. With what you said above would you recommend I plug it into an older Dell laptop that I have around and is running Windows 7 to first of all see if I can see it (don't know why I didn't think of that) and if I can try to format it MBR then take it back to the Windows 10 Dell I want to back-up to see if it will show up? Just as importantly, can you please keep me apprised of your progress (insert optimism here) with Microsoft? Could you possibly supply me a link so that I can follow it directly? 

Thanks again to the both of you for your help.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 02:47 PM

Is there a disk in Disk Management showing Not Initialized or Initialized?  If so then do the following. If you initialized the disk did you initialize as GPT?

The easiest solution would be to download Partition Wizard. See if the disk is detected. If it is then initialize the disk as GPT if you did not initialize as GPT. Next step is to create a primary NTFS partition.   All steps in Partition Wizard are virtual and will not complete until the Apply button is clicked.

If the disk is not detected by Partition Wizard it could be a problem with the enclosure. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 September 2016 - 02:57 PM.

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 03:13 PM

Toddbrad, I've posted my research in both the Windows 10 insider forum here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/usb3-external-hard-drive-problem-when-gpt/453554d6-d92b-49c0-813a-a4aa2c18821e

and the Windows 10 release version here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/usb3-problem-with-3-tb-external-hard-drive/7e61ec66-18ea-467c-ae98-1e49cd9923b8

I've also created a table with the results below.

Device                            Win 7       Win 10

2TB HDD in USB2            Yes          Yes

2TB HDD in USB3            Yes          Yes

3 TB HDD in USB2           Yes          Yes

3 TB HDD in USB3           Yes          No

Edited by Niweg, 17 September 2016 - 03:13 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:53 AM

This Seagate hard drive does not come formatted.  I would suggest following JohnC_21's suggestion.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 ToddBrad

ToddBrad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 09:49 AM

Guys thank you for the direction. I did follow JohnC_21's suggestion and no I cannot see it in Partition Manager. SO I am going to do what I should have done along time ago and connect it to my older Dell running windows 7 and see if I can see it on that machine. JohnC_21 and dc3 when I do this should I follow JohnC_21 direction and format it on this machine using and then reconnect it to my newer Dell and see what I get? 

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 09:54 AM

Yes, go ahead and format it on the other computer if it detected. If not detected then the docking station is probably bad. Connect it to your Windows 10 computer and see if it is detected. Did you try using all available USB ports on the Windows 10 computer?

#10 ToddBrad

ToddBrad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:25 AM

Okay I can see it on my Windows 7 laptop. I can see it in disk management, devices and printers, and device manager. I can't see it in windows explorer. I can also get volume information on it in windows 7 whereas I could not get on my Windows 10 machine. With that being said I am unsure of how to proceed since it looks like in disk management the external drive is already formatted since it indicates no unallocated space on the drive. 

With that being said I am unsure of how to proceed. Like I mentioned, this really is not my area so if you could provide some direction at this point it would be most appreciated. please find screenshots of what I found for my external drive on my windows 7 machine.  One is from Device Manager and the other is from Disk management. It (the external drive) is Drive 1 and it would only let me delete the volume when I right clicked on it. I could not assign it a drive letter or format it in disk management.

Attached File  Device Manager.png   234.7KB   0 downloads

Attached File  disk management.png   183.06KB   1 downloads

Thanks!

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:31 AM

There is no letter assigned to the drive. Assign a letter and you should see it in Computer.

#12 ToddBrad

ToddBrad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:20 PM

I was going to do that but it will not let do that in disk management. The only options I have available to me when I right click on the drive is "Delete Volume" and "Help". Any other way to change?

Attached File  disk management2.png   134.04KB   0 downloads

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:21 PM

Open the Device Manager, click on the external drive, right click on the drive and select Change driver letter.

#14 ToddBrad

ToddBrad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 04:28 PM

I am still unable to change. From device manager it does not give me that option. I have been on the net and tried a couple of possible fixes - ie download paragon hfs+ and a registry edit to no avail.............any other possible solutions come to mind? 

Thanks again!

Attached File  device manager2.png   166.83KB   1 downloads

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 04:40 PM

Looking at your Disk Management image again I noticed there is no file system listed. Did you format the drive after initializing it? 

With the drive attached type CMD in the search box and at the command prompt type 

diskpart

list volume

If you do not see a file system listed for your disk then you will need to format the disk. I would follow the steps in my Post #5 using Partition Wizard. After doing all the steps click apply. Make sure you give the drive a letter when creating the new partition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users