Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 log1471

log1471

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:55 PM

hi,
i have a D-link router and 2 laptops. i have a static ip address from my isp. how do i use the 2 laptops on wirelss using only one ip number? please help me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:32 PM

You will need a wireless router. The router will make it possible to share one IP address among many computers and LAN devices, like printers an attached network drives.
A wireless router will run $30 to $100 depending what options you want and were you buy it from.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 log1471

log1471
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:24 AM

i have a wireless router but i still cant get ti to work.

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:35 PM

What you will have to do is assign your static ip to your router but your computers will have to run at something like 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 because you can't run both computers on the smae ip, they will always interfear with each other...

#5 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:34 PM

You may have to set up your laptops wireless configuration using the windows wireless zero config or the (insert wireless card manufacturer here) setup app that your computer came with. You don't really need to use static ip's unless you really need too, you can usually get away with your router DHCP to assign your comuters an IP. If you do have to use static IP don't use 192.168.*.1 because this is usually your gateway (router)....(the * indicates a wildcard number generally it is 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.0.1 etc). After that if you are connected continue to password protect and configure your router, which is done by logging into the router using the one of the above addresses. Then you will want to add encrytion, preferrably WPA-PSK at the least and do NOT use WEP as it is weak and easilly broken. You may also want to use MAC address filtering and turn off SSID broadcasting to stop your router from bieng shown to your neighbors or somebody else. If you need further help just let us know :thumbsup:
Cheers, Lucent

Edited by lucent, 21 August 2006 - 07:41 PM.

Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users