Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

planning to install Windows

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:39 PM

Hello,

CPU 2.7GHz

RAM 8 Gb

Graphics Iris 6100 1536 MB

OS X el captin 10.11.16

I am planning to install windows on my new macbook pro. I am not sure on how to install it whether as dual boot with OS X or as virtual machine. I am kinda bised to the last option. I need other people input and recommendation. a

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:52 AM

It kind of depends on what programs you want/need to use in Windows.

Personally, I generally believe that installing Windows in a virtual machine is the better options UNLESS you need all the speed you can get. This is the approach that I take. I have needed to run Windows only structural analysis software in the past and it has run find in a virtual machine (I use Parallels). Not having to reboot the computer to switch to Windows is great.

If, OTOH, you need all the speed you can get (i.e. playing games or using other graphics intensive programs such as CAD or 3D rendering programs, etc), then Bootcamp (i.e. a dual boot) is the better option. While virtual machines have gotten much better at running graphically intensive programs over the years, you still have the "intermediary" effect with a virtual machine that you do not have with Bootcamp. That "intermediary" effect will result in some loss of performance (relatively minor these days, but still potentially noticeable).

Of course, if you want the best of both worlds, I believe that Parallels can still make use of your Bootcamp partition for the virtual machine. If so, you can then boot into the Bootcamp partition when you need the speed, but otherwise use the virtual machine for day to day stuff. The only downside of this approach is if you need to resize the Bootcamp partition for more space.

#3 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:01 AM

Thank to you for your input, I am going to install windows as virtual OS, as I said I don't really want windows files to touch the SSD and I don't really need the speed ( I am not playing games nor running crazy editing programs. I believe simulation software are fine on virtual windows. I think I can always change the plan when needed.

my ssd is 256 GB

What are the recommended spec for a good virtual windows 10?

Edited by fadi-sheikh, 19 September 2016 - 12:02 AM.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:09 PM

What are the recommended spec for a good virtual windows 10?

Not sure what you mean by this. Can you elaborate?

#5 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:12 PM

how much memory should I allocate for windows 10 and number of cores and storage size

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:53 PM

how much memory should I allocate for windows 10 and number of cores and storage size

Kind of depends on your usage.

If you are going to use Windows in the VM predominately and not really use other Mac programs at the same time...and need the computational power, then you might go more towards maxing out RAM and cores.

If you will use both Windows and Mac OS programs at the same time and both need fairly decent computational level, then split it pretty evenly.

If you will mainly use the Mac side programs with maybe one or two Windows programs that are not overly computationally intensive, then throw more to the Mac side.

Of course, it also depends on the specs of the Mac in question.

FWIW, with my rMBP (4 core i7 processor and 16 GB of RAM), I tend to do about 4 to 8 GB of RAM and at least 2 cores. For my MBA (2 core i7 and 8 GB of RAM), I tend to use 2 cores with about 4 GB of RAM.

For the hard drive, this will depend on what you want to install besides Windows and how much data you want to keep in the VM as opposed to on the "Mac side" of things. And it could depend on the VM program you use. Parallels has "dynamics" drive image size options...i.e. theoretically the program adjusts the size of the drive image file as needed, but you can always adjust it manually yourself if needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users