Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to scale up older applications for Hi-Res screens?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:29 PM

Hi all,

I took advantage of the free Windows 10 upgrade earlier this year and everything was running pretty smoothly--until now.

See, there's this really, really old game from 2006... and I never had a scaling problem with it on Windows 7, but now I practically need to squint to see it:

small.png

This is how it looks on a 15-inch screen.

Does anyone know of a good workaround? Again, it scaled up fine in Windows 7. I've already tried disabling DPI scaling and the external manifest trick, and neither worked. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:55 PM

Have you checked your laptop manufacturer's support website to see if they have released a Windows 10 video driver? Windows could be using a generic driver that is for the correct video but has limited capabilities.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 11:11 AM

Have you checked your laptop manufacturer's support website to see if they have released a Windows 10 video driver? Windows could be using a generic driver that is for the correct video but has limited capabilities.

I have a Macbook Pro running Boot Camp. As far as I know, I'm using the latest Nvidia driver for my system...

#4 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:32 AM

I hate to double-post, but I just updated 5 minutes ago and there was no change.

Edited by TechlessOS_3211, 19 September 2016 - 10:32 AM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:23 AM

I have no experience to know if there's something about running under Bootcamp that could be causing this, I'll put out a call to see if any regulars have expertise.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:16 AM

Check the game setup option for the resolution size. It looks out of proportion.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:03 AM

I have a Macbook Pro running Boot Camp. As far as I know, I'm using the latest Nvidia driver for my system...

Which model MacBook Pro? I ask because any MacBook Pro model before the Mid 2012 models does not officially support Windows 10. So, that could be a factor if you are using an older MBP.

Which macOS version? I ask because many times Apple does not support newer version of Windows with older versions of Bootcamp and the newest version of Bootcamp is basically only guaranteed to be in the most current version of the macOS (which effectively would be El Capitan, aka 10.11.x, although Sierra, aka 10.12.x, is officially being released today). So, if you are not running El Capitan, then you might want to consider upgrading to at least El Capitan (assuming it is still available in the App Store...Apple has an annoying habit of removing old versions from the App Store is you have not at least downloaded it once while it was the most current version of the macOS, which is why I download it even if I am not going to upgrade).

Assuming neither of the two previous items might be the issues, the thing to try is to reinstall/update the Windows support software (this is the software that essentially installed the Windows graphics driver for your particular MacBook Pro model). This article will provide guidance:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204923

And one last thought would be to try a virtual machine with Windows 10 in it. While it is generally better to use Bootcamp for things like playing Windows games on a Mac, virtual machine programs (especially Parallels) have gotten much better/faster at handling graphically intensive programs. And since the game is a 2006 game, it is not going to push a newer MBP's graphics system (assuming dedicated graphics which seems to be the case if it is nVidia) too hard. So, there is a good chance that an older game might run pretty well in a Windows 10 VM running inside of Parallels. You will still lose a little performance, but it might still be more than playable. And you would not have to reboot to play it. :grinner:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users