Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

local account password or not when setting up new Windows 10 computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:37 PM

Can a user skip setting up a password if he wants a local account on new computer having Windows 10?  How would this, if it is allowed, affect software updates, windows updates, installing software, uninstalling softwares, going online in various browsers, wifi?

The idea is that I do not want to need to sign in with a password whenever I turn on and wish to use my own personal computer.  If there is some special file I not want anyone to mess with, I put in onto a separate storage device.  Any other person in my family should be able to use this same computer without any obstacle if such a member feels the need of the new computer.

------------

This separate topic made because was asked in earlier topic only partly related to this - wish to avoid confusing between title of topic and actual contents

Edited by cafejose, 16 September 2016 - 09:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Daydreamed

Daydreamed

• Members
  • 349 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:43 PM

Hello,

If I'm getting what you're saying, you do not want a password on a user account. When changing or creating the password, leave both forms blank and it will not require a password.

- Daydreamed

#3 xAnti_HerOx

xAnti_HerOx

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:20 PM

Hello CafeJose, 

Can a user skip setting up a password if he wants a local account on new computer having Windows 10?  How would this, if it is allowed, affect software updates, windows updates, installing software, uninstalling softwares, going online in various browsers, wifi?

The idea is that I do not want to need to sign in with a password whenever I turn on and wish to use my own personal computer.  If there is some special file I not want anyone to mess with, I put in onto a separate storage device.  Any other person in my family should be able to use this same computer without any obstacle if such a member feels the need of the new computer.

Yes, A User Can Skip the Need for a Password by doing just as Daydreamed Mentioned earlier. 

To further answer what you were asking, it should not affect anything such as updates in the sense your asking. The password is just used when asking for administrative access to certain locations or to perform administrative tasks from within the computer. 

4mKMIUp.jpg

"The human spirit must prevail over technology". -Albert Einstein 

#4 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 991 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 11:00 PM

Hello CafeJose, 

Yes, A User Can Skip the Need for a Password by doing just as Daydreamed Mentioned earlier. 

To further answer what you were asking, it should not affect anything such as updates in the sense your asking. The password is just used when asking for administrative access to certain locations or to perform administrative tasks from within the computer. 

Both of you, thanks.

I set up the new laptop having Windows 10, WITH a local password.  Not any Microsoft account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users